Thread: Evohome new user

Automated Home Lurker

Default Evohome new user

Hi guys, this looks a great place for EvoHome advice, I wonder if somebody could point me in the right direction?

We've recently moved house and had a new heating system installed - standard Worcester gas boiler, unvented tank, S-plan system, 2 x BDR91's one for hot water, one for heating and 21 radiators. Each BDR91 also fires the boiler when it's engaged.

The plan is to fit 16 of these radiators with HR92's, 4 with standard TRV's (in the hallway, don't need them to be able to call for heat) and one in the En-Suite that has no TRV .

So far, our installer has fitted the system and he has left us with the EvoHome controller running in a single-zone thermostat mode as I thought adding a bunch of HR92's and setting up some zones would be straightforward enough (my background is software/firmware & hardware).

However, on installing the controller, he had great difficulty getting it to control the BDR91's and had to make 3 calls to Honeywell to get it working correctly so I'm now left in a position of being a bit worried about re-configuring and losing our heating system and would like some re-assurance / advice.

He didn't have any problem with communication (although Honeywell made him relocate the 2 BDR91's to be further apart), but whatever way he had the bindings set up, whenever he bound the hot water and the boiler relays then ran the RF Comms test for the hot water, it would flash the red lights on both BDR91's - is this correct or is this some form of double-bind that has been accidentally configured? We'd get the same when testing the hot water through the RF Comms.

I'm not sure how he corrected this as I wasn't in the house that day, but he said it was to do with re-setting the controller up from scratch, then deleting the first zone and re-adding it. It's all now working, but when I look at the System Summary it says

Stored Hot Water - No Devices Bound
    Living Room - Zone valve, Evotouch Sensor (so he has the boiler BDR91 configured as the Zone Valve and is using Controller as thermostat with no HR92s)

I'm not sure how it's calling for hot water, but it does?

I added a zone that appears as:
    Study - Radiator Valve

But this zone is unable to call for heat - from reading around, I think this is because the controller is in single-zone mode. I need to find the best way to set this up for the 9 zones I require but I am kinda worried as there's no way that I can see of recording all the settings / backing up the configuration to be able to get back to where I am now if I mess up.

I've gone through the Honeywell online training, just hopeful somebody could explain why the RF Comms was working the way it was (both BDR91 flashing on test), and what way the binding should be configured to allow me to get the zones programmed in so they can all call for heat.

I really miss a "proper" manual for this thing, like explanations of which specific bindings are used in which circumstances. I *think* being an S-Plan, even though I have a BDR91, I shouldn't be binding it as a "Boiler Relay" ... something about because mine was a Connected Thermostat Pack and a Hot Water Kit, it should be pre-bound, but I'm not positive about that

Any advice / links to great articles that I haven't yet found would be greatly appreciated!

Automated Home Ninja

It sounds like you need to completely clear the bindings from the BDR91s (they can be bound to up to 4 devices, and only need to be bound to the controller in an Evohome install). Don't just rebind them - clear them and start from scratch. Rebinding will just add another new binding and make matters worse.

If your BDR91s are connected to the zone valves and then the orange wires from the valves are used to fire the boiler and pump, then you don't have a boiler relay and you shouldn't have one configured in the system. So you'll need to clear down and reconfigure the controller too. A boiler relay is configured when you have a BDR91 directly controlling your boiler and not your valves.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jemster View Post
    He didn't have any problem with communication (although Honeywell made him relocate the 2 BDR91's to be further apart), but whatever way he had the bindings set up, whenever he bound the hot water and the boiler relays then ran the RF Comms test for the hot water, it would flash the red lights on both BDR91's - is this correct or is this some form of double-bind that has been accidentally configured? We'd get the same when testing the hot water through the RF Comms.
    Yes this is correct. It sounds wrong but when you do the RF test for heating and hot water the red LED on both BDR91's will flash - my system certainly does this and mine is correctly set up, so I wouldn't worry about that.
    Stored Hot Water - No Devices Bound
    Living Room - Zone valve, Evotouch Sensor (so he has the boiler BDR91 configured as the Zone Valve and is using Controller as thermostat with no HR92s)

I'm not sure how it's calling for hot water, but it does?
    Ok this is all completely wrong. It won't be controlling hot water correctly if you have no stored hot water configured.
    But this zone is unable to call for heat - from reading around, I think this is because the controller is in single-zone mode. I need to find the best way to set this up for the 9 zones I require but I am kinda worried as there's no way that I can see of recording all the settings / backing up the configuration to be able to get back to where I am now if I mess up.
    There's no way to do a "backup" of the configuration, but since everything is set up wrong at the moment you wouldn't want to save it anyway!
    I've gone through the Honeywell online training, just hopeful somebody could explain why the RF Comms was working the way it was (both BDR91 flashing on test), and what way the binding should be configured to allow me to get the zones programmed in so they can all call for heat.

I really miss a "proper" manual for this thing, like explanations of which specific bindings are used in which circumstances. I *think* being an S-Plan, even though I have a BDR91, I shouldn't be binding it as a "Boiler Relay" ... something about because mine was a Connected Thermostat Pack and a Hot Water Kit, it should be pre-bound, but I'm not positive about that
    In this situation I would start over from scratch and remove all bindings as everything seems to be in a right mess. So I would:

1) In the controller, make sure both stored hot water and boiler control are set to "none" to remove any bindings to the BDR91's.
    2) Clear the bindings on the BDR91's themselves - to do this hold down the button on the BDR91's for more than 15 seconds until the slow flash changes to a quick flash. This means the bindings are cleared.
    3) Clear the bindings on the HR92's - to do this you press the button so the screen lights then release then press again and hold, wait until you see bind, then release, then press and hold until you see "cleared". (instead of a quick press to bind)

Now you know all previous bindings are cleared.

4) Chose the option to clear all settings in the controller
    5) Use the wizard to set up a multi-zone system.

It should prompt you to bind the hot water sensor, hot water zone valve relay, heating zone valve relay. If at any point it asks you if you have a boiler relay say NO, because you only have two relays and the boiler is connected to the zone valve orange wires.

You can then create zones one at a time and add each HR92 to the zone. If you have more than one HR92 in a zone add the one which you wish to be the temperature sensor first then the remaining ones in the zone when prompted for additional actuators. Make sure you choose radiator controller as the type of zone when adding zones.

Hope that clears things up, and yes, the installation instructions are not brilliant. The steps for performing bindings on specific devices are covered etc, but there is no real "overview" document that says why you should be doing what you are doing especially in regards to whether you have a boiler control relay or not which is a common point of confusion.

You would only have a boiler control relay if either (a) the system was heating only without hot water control (combi boiler etc) or you have 3x BDR91 (as I do) where you can have a heating zone relay, hot water relay, and boiler control relay.

In an S-Plan system with only two relays and the boiler connected to the zone valve switches you do not have a separate boiler control relay thus it should be set to none.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 6th December 2018 at 11:22 AM.

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks very much for the reply.

When you say clear the BDR91's, that is just holding down the button for 15 seconds until I get the quick flashing, then release and hold again for 5 seconds to get it into binding mode. There's no other steps involved?

So if I clear down the boiler relay binding, how does the EvoHome start the boiler whenever an HR92 calls for heat? What should that BDR91 be bound to? I'm just trying to get my head around this so I know what I'll be doing wrong

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jemster View Post
    Thanks very much for the reply.

When you say clear the BDR91's, that is just holding down the button for 15 seconds until I get the quick flashing, then release and hold again for 5 seconds to get it into binding mode. There's no other steps involved?
    Clearing the binding is holding it down for over 15 seconds until it is flashing quickly. Holding it down for 5 seconds until it flashes slowly puts it into binding mode - don't do that until you are at the correct step in the binding process where it is asking you to do this. For example you don't want both BDR91's sitting there in binding mode (slow flash) when you are trying to bind one of them as it won't know which to bind to.
    So if I clear down the boiler relay binding, how does the EvoHome start the boiler whenever an HR92 calls for heat? What should that BDR91 be bound to? I'm just trying to get my head around this so I know what I'll be doing wrong
    Well, how many BDR91's do you have ?

I am assuming you have two BDR91's, one controlling your heating zone valve and one controlling your hot water zone valve. Then the orange wires from the switches in both zone valves go to your boiler to fire it ? This is the most common configuration.

In this case you do not configure a boiler control relay - the heating zone valve relay will go on when an HR92 calls for heat which will open the heating zone valve, close the switch in the zone valve and the boiler will fire.

When there is hot water reheat demand the hot water relay will go on, open the hot water zone valve, and it's switch will also fire the boiler, if it wasn't already due to heating demand.

By the way a quick press of the button on the BDR91's will temporarily override them into either the on or off state - this is useful for checking that your zone valves are wired and working correctly, and can be done even before they are bound to the controller.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 6th December 2018 at 11:27 AM.

Automated Home Lurker

Overlapping postings there, sorry DBMandrake!

Your instructions are great, makes perfect sense - there's only two BDR91's and yes, one is hot water and the other I now know is a Heating Zone Valve Relay rather than a Boiler Relay.

Somehow it does seem to call for hot water independently of the heating so I've no idea what way he has it configured. I'll nuke it all and start again as per your instructions. I guess I'm just apprehensive about touching anything when it's so cold outside... the first night he put it in, he ended up hard-wiring the relay boxes just to leave us with heat for the evening and I don't want that happening again.

My installer is a good plumber and on Honeywells list of installers for my area but to be honest, he doesn't have much experience of the EvoHome - has one in his own home but now tells me he has never configured Zones