Thread: Philips Master LEDs flickering when dimmed

Default Philips Master LEDs flickering when dimmed

Hi all,

I hope everyone has had a good start to 2019

Has anyone else noticed a flicker when dimming their LED GU10 bulbs recently? I mainly use the older Philips Master 6W bulbs and they have always worked perfectly but over the past few months pretty much all of them (around 150 bulbs in total) have developed a very noticeable flicker when they are dimmed. Even the slightly newer Philips Master 5W bulbs are flickering and they are in a room that is very rarely used so number of hours on them can be ruled out.

Anyone else noticed this? Any ideas as to what could be going on? This is starting to annoy me now

Thanks,
    Nad

Although the implication is that something has changed, perhaps you can send me a node profile of one of the modules controlling an affected set and I can then see if some firmware change mey help.

Karam

Hi Karam,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I don't think anything has changed from the Idratek side of things, I've not run any software updates for a while now and definitely not done anything on the firmware side for years now. I was wondering if it could be something to do with my electricity supply as it's a bit odd how all the modules seem to be showing similar behaviour after years of faultless operation.

I'll ping you over a node profile as soon as I can.

Thanks,
    Nad

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

in our previous house, things were fine for years then, one day, the Monitor on our PC developed a very slight unsteadiness ...

not all the time, but quite often ... still usable, but text wavered ever so slightly ...

we switched & disconnected & unplugged anything we could think of, starting with what was new, and gradually everything ...

of course, the problem was not always there when it was convenient to explore ...

but, no cure found ...

then we tried switching the breakers in the Consumer Unit off, one by one ... and found that when one particular one was off, the problem went away, and when it was on it came back ...

then we looked to find what was on that circuit, but could not find anything that wasn't working when it was off ...

very odd ... and not saying it could be your problem, but maybe it might give some food for thought !

PS: maybe a recently changed bulb is a non-dimmable one ?

Chris
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 21st January 2019 at 06:21 PM.

Normally a flickering LED bulb is either due to a bad LED driver, but since almost all of your bulbs have developed this fault then I think we can rule this out. The other is the way LED bulbs are dimmed, but since they have worked fine then I would rule this out (plus it would take a few pages to explain this in more detail).
    It might be damage to the dimmer packs or bulbs themselves due to either power surges or an electrical storm.

I would try changing one of the LED bulbs with a normal halogen. And see what happens.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog