• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rogerdygas
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2017

Notification on Amazon Echo when circuit energised

I would like a notification on my phone and or Amazon Alexa devices when my washing machine has finished its cycle. I do not have any hubs just the Amazon Echo.

On my washing machine I have an led that lights when the cycle is done, so I would just like an alert when the led is energised.

What do I need to complete this?
  • steveprior
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2019

Without taking the washing machine apart, I reckon you can do this with a raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 Light Dependant Resistor, 1 resistor and 1 capacitor (and a few wires and soldering skills)
    You'll need a basic knowledge of Raspberry Pi's and a programming language (Python is the most common).

Make this (randomly pulled from a Google search):
    This guide shows how you can read analogue sensors on the Raspberry Pi despite it not having any analogue inputs. It uses an RC charging circuit to estimate the voltage provided by the sensor. It's not perfect but easier than using an analgoue-to-digital converter (ADC).

Firstly, you need to mount the LDR as close to the LED as possible (avoiding ambient-light false-positives)
    When the code tells you the LED is lit, you need to tell your Echo to speak.
    Have a look here:
    https://blog.loetzimmer.de/2017/10/a...hell-echo.html (translate to English).

I have previously used the LDR sensor in an energy meter (which counted the flashes on an electricity meter) and for a break-beam laser movement sensor, and I actively use the Echo-speak ability for alerts when people approach the house, a treadmill running instruction timer, a drink-water reminder, etc.

Comment

Working...
    X