Thread: Water hot then cold??

Automated Home Lurker

Default Water hot then cold??

Hi,
    I have a Vaillant Turbo Max Plus 824/2e
    The problem is is that the hot water is hot then goes cold then hot then cold???You get the idea.The heating is fine.
    I am not a plumber but if anyone thinks it is an easy fix I'll do it myself
    Thanks in advance

Default Re: Water hot then cold??

Whats your water pressure like. This problem could either be water pressure or quite possibly gas pressure (though this is only likely if you run off gas bottles rather than gas mains).

Automated Home Lurker

cold water pressure is good,hot comes out slower?

The hot will be a little slower as it has to go via a heat exchanger etc. My hot water pressure is not as good as my cold. When was the last time you had your boiler cleaned/serviced.
    It is possible to clean the heat exchanger yourself but can be quite tricky.
    Disconect the water pipes going to the heat exchanger. If you can, take the heat exchanger out. Now pour some bathroom descaler down the pipe in the heat exchanger, keep going until it comes out the other end. You may need to make up a funnel arrangement for this. Once it starts comming out the other end, start pouring fresh water down the funnel until you are sure all the descaler has been washed away. Then put back.
    It might be worth getting a professional to do this as they have a special machine which connects to the heat exchange. This machine then pumps fluid round the exchanger for a couple of minutes one way then a couple of minutes the other. He then reconnects the water supply and turns this on flushing out any residual chemicals. Then reconnects the other end.