• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Duckfather
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2019

Home Automation Hub Without Permanent Internet Access

Hi all

I'm just about to replace some ancient dead X10 kit for something more up to date. The problem is that I don't want any control hub I use to be permanently connected to the internet or for any processing to be carried out in the cloud. I simply don't want to be reliant on having a cloud provider still up and running and have an internet connection just to control my lights etc!

I have no issues with connecting to the internet every now and again for firmware updates etc, just not for the day to day running of my automated kit. And no, I don't have any interest in controlling my kit via my phone while I'm out and about.

That being said, does anyone have any recommendations on a Z-wave / ZigBee (I'll probably standardise devices on one of these protocols) compatible hub that can run like this? Ideally, I'd like to be able to control things through a WiFi connected tablet, but it's not essential.
  • Cube
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2019

Hi Duckfather,

I'll also be interested in responses to your question. Like you, I don't want to rely on the internet to be up in order to operate equipment. I'm also worried about the number of account details I have to give to Google so it can operate devices for me. Even worse, none of the companies seem to realize that in the real world we have families and they should not have to sign in with your account or be able to buy movies using your credit card!

For me the only current solution is to install and configure OpenHAB on a small computer such as a Raspberry Pi or Intel NUC. You can still install and use other hubs such as the Philips Hue at the same time. OpenHAB has drivers for most things and you can add Z-wave / ZigBee USB dongles to your hub to control them if you wish or talk to devices indirectly via Ethernet/WiFi to device specific hubs. If you want to take it to the extreme OpenHAB even has support for Jarvis to let you control everything with your own voice. It also has a web interface so you can create kiosk like controls and there are mobile apps too.

Whatever you do don't forget the 'Grandma rule'... if the Grandmother came to stay, could she operate the lights and set the thermostat without a mobile?

Of course the big downside of this is the necessary experience required to set it all up. But that's why I joined the forum!

Comment

• Kevin
      • Jan 2004

Take a look at Hubitat Elevation , it’s similar to SmartThings but without the cloud dependency.

Comment

• Potes Smart Homes
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Jan 2019

Have you looked into Loxone? They do a range of "air" (wireless) devices to control lights and heating. You don't need an internet connection for this, you just need to be connected to the router (local network) if you require control via phone or tablet locally. Additionally, if you use a motion sensor you shouldn't really ever require the use of your phone to control lights / heating.

Comment

• Symbolics
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Potes Smart Homes View Post
          Have you looked into Loxone? They do a range of "air" (wireless) devices to control lights and heating. You don't need an internet connection for this, you just need to be connected to the router (local network) if you require control via phone or tablet locally. Additionally, if you use a motion sensor you shouldn't really ever require the use of your phone to control lights / heating.
          I have successfully used a KNX based decentralised system for my house, including heating, lighting, some security features and also greenhouse climate control. It works very well, the downside being the cost. But the upsides are that you do not need an internet connection, nor do you absolutely need a central server either, and you get the absolutely reliability of a wired system. All the elements communicate with each other directly and system configuration involves setting up the messaging between components. The switches available are very high end and represent some leading edge design.

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

I second a Loxone install. It can work without an internet connection, but does need to be connected to a wifi router (this does not need to be connected to the internet) if you want to use their free app on your smart phone or tablet.
            The Loxone Air system is excellent, and quite intelligent. Just in the process of installing an Air system in a new build. All mains powered Air modules also act as repeaters and the modules themselves sort themselves out if they need to communicate via another module. I had one module I was installing which had direct comms with the Go Miniserver then moved it to its actual install position, tested it again and after 3 seconds had worked out it needed to talk to another module first so that one could then relay the commands. After that there was no delay in operation.
            Another plus with the Loxone system is that if you have normal light switches you can use these to connect up to the Nano Air Module's digital inputs, just tell the system you are using normal switches. and the system does the rest.

More information at Loxone
            IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
            X