Thread: stoneage Danfoss3020p wiring help please

Automated Home Lurker

Default stoneage Danfoss3020p wiring help please

Hi all, bought house with Danfoss 3020p 'brick'timer. Replacing with Danfoss fp715 new digital one. Wiring still stone age though. No instructions. There is a power point to a fused switch, which then goes into the timer along with the boiler wiring. Does the new timer need this fused switch? If and when it's all up and running, do i leave the pump on all the time? If the fused switch has to be there, does that have to be on all the time? I thought that if the timer controlled the heating while I am out-obviously all has to be on permanently? but wont this burn out the pump? Confused..appreciate advise please.Many thanks. :roll:

Default Re: stoneage Danfoss3020p wiring help please

Hi Moomin,

First thing to check - what voltage does your new unit require? Just check that it does require mains voltage and is not some LV system.

I'm not familiar with the models you quote, but I recently replaced my CH timer & thermostat. There's often/usually a wiring diagram on the back of the old unit which shows you what pins are connect to the switching wizardry contained within the timer unit. Functionally, they should do the same thing but you should check that they are wired the same way before connecting up.

You are correct in having a fused (3amp usually) spur feeding the boiler, timer, pump etc. This is normally left on all the time. The pump should only run when:
    (a) the timer says either hot water or CH are needed, or both,
    (b) AND, the room thermostat for the CH, or the cylinder stat for DHW say that heat is required.

This should start the circulation pump and start (fire) the boiler. It's fairly common for the pump to run for a short time after the boiler has been turned off, but anything more than a minute or two and I would think something's wrong.

Try this website:
    http://www.sunvic.co.uk/ and see the Wiring Diagrams link...

There are wiring diagrams for many common heating configurations. Just go carefully and remember it's mains voltage that you're poking around with :-)

HTH,

Tim.

Automated Home Lurker

Hi Tim, thanks, I am just a bit confused as the pump simply plugs into a normal socket and isn't linked into the existing thermostat at all so how will the new thermostat know how to switch it on when heating is required? Obviously I will not attempt this now as its too many additions to add that the instructions of the new digi thermostat does not offer-although if straight forward it would be simple as it shows step by step moves from one to another! I love electrics and love to find out ins and outs of things, my husband thinks I'm crazy-not so when all the switches and sockets are replaced though! This ones for an expert affraid. Many thanks.ps.the new one is recommended as a replacement for old one and requires mains.

Hi Moomin,

I guess it could be possible that the socket itself is switched, but it's a bit of a strange way to wire things up !

How does your system currently work? Does the pump run all the time?
    If you're feeling confident it could be a DIY job, but no doubt would be quicker if you got someone in.

Incidentally, when my boiler was replaced the plumber brought his own electrician in to do the wiring - maybe you could find a similar electrician i.e. one that's used to working on boiler systems?

Good luck,

Tim.