Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EvoHome Hot water temperature incorrect

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

I have the same unvented tank as the OP, which I use as a pre-heat for the hot water feed into my combi (using up excess PV).

I'm no longer monitoring the temp with Evohome, but when I did I replaced the Evohome sensor with one of these (you need the 10k version).

These are MUCH easier to push deep into the pocket, alongside the existing sensors, as they are really tiny.

Automated Home Jr Member

Spoke with Wolseley who put me on to the manufacturer - yep, it's the same make... It's a Heatrae Sadia, probably a PremierPlus from the website, manufacturer model number is CCSSIND210.

I dropped them an email, let's see what they have to say about it, pretty sure it'll be 'lash it in there under the insulation'

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    I have the same unvented tank as the OP, which I use as a pre-heat for the hot water feed into my combi (using up excess PV).

I'm no longer monitoring the temp with Evohome, but when I did I replaced the Evohome sensor with one of these (you need the 10k version).

These are MUCH easier to push deep into the pocket, alongside the existing sensors, as they are really tiny.
    Interesting - I'll go this route if I have no joy tucking the existing one in. Thanks for the link!

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jemster View Post
    Hmmm. Ok. I took off the cover and had a look tonight.

What i think he’s done is used the insertion sensor but tucked it under the insulation and it’s only making a small contact with the cylinder.

Attachment 1361

I guess that’s why the reading is off then!

I can either work it further under the insulation so it contacts the tank better or take a look at the strap-on sensor, but not sure there’s space for it anywhere.
    I can't quite make out your picture, but it looks very similar to mine (Megaflo Eco Indirect 250L). There are 2 dry pockets - one above the immersion heater connections and one below.

The top one on mine has an overheat stat and then the immersion stat inserted behind it.
    The bottom has an overheat stat and then the cylinder stat inserted behind it.

There is enough room (just!) to squeeze a second sensor in along with the immersion stat. Certainly far enough to get an accurate reading of the cylinder. Or, if you don't use the immersion, you could simply remove the immersion stat.

Automated Home Ninja

If I remember correctly, to replace the Stat on these you remove the 3 little screws in the top plastic cover. This will expose the stats and the pockets. You'll be able to then push it into there, not disturbing the other stats. Remember to isolate all the power to the system first!

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    If I remember correctly, to replace the Stat on these you remove the 3 little screws in the top plastic cover. This will expose the stats and the pockets. You'll be able to then push it into there, not disturbing the other stats. Remember to isolate all the power to the system first!
    Oh? Are those not the stats in the round section below the plastic cover visible in the photo (beside the stuffed in insertion sensor)?
    Haven’t managed to get to it today as the heat is on so will give it a stab on Saturday to see if I can improve the situation.

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Jemster View Post
    Oh? Are those not the stats in the round section below the plastic cover visible in the photo (beside the stuffed in insertion sensor)?
    Haven’t managed to get to it today as the heat is on so will give it a stab on Saturday to see if I can improve the situation.
    No, the round thing with the black wires coming out is the immersion heater. The temperature probes aren't visible, they are behind the plastic cover above if I remember correctly.

Automated Home Jr Member

That's incorrect. There are 2 dry pockets above and below the connections for the immersion heater.

I'm basing this on my own cylinder, but this looks identical. A close up picture would help clarify. You should see wires going into the dry pockets - 2 in each if they both have overheat stats as well as regular stats.

The top plastic cover is for the boost immersion. The temperature up there will be far higher than lower in the cylinder due to stratification. You need to ensure the cs92 is inserted as low as possible in the cylinder to have it function correctly.

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by fezster View Post
    That's incorrect. There are 2 dry pockets above and below the connections for the immersion heater.

I'm basing this on my own cylinder, but this looks identical. A close up picture would help clarify. You should see wires going into the dry pockets - 2 in each if they both have overheat stats as well as regular stats.

The top plastic cover is for the boost immersion. The temperature up there will be far higher than lower in the cylinder due to stratification. You need to ensure the cs92 is inserted as low as possible in the cylinder to have it function correctly.
    I think youíre misunderstanding what I meant by top plastic cover. Iím meaning the plastic fascia with 3 screws in within the bottom compartment. This holds the immersion and boiler stats in place are and where the relevant probes/pockets will be for each stat.

Automated Home Jr Member

Ok, I gotta say I thought the same as Fezster.

If we call the plastic fascia 'North', the round circle has 4 'features', East and West are terminals with wires - I assume these are the immersion heater circuit. North and South appear to be holes with what looks like something black pushed into each with 2 wires coming from each - I thought these were the stats.

I haven't taken off the top plastic fascia, it seems to cover the immersion and boiler stat settings and reset buttons. I'm not denying there's further pockets under that section mtmcgavock, I simply haven't looked yet.

The photo was a hi-res closeup, I didn't realise the board scaled it down and rotated it 90 degrees! (at least, I can only assume that's how it got to postage stamp sized!)
    Last edited by Jemster; 11th January 2019 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Dyscompasslexia