• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mtmcgavock
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by uhhu View Post
    I've contacted the installer who has spoken to Honeywell.

They first told him that I am experiencing issues because not every radiator has the Evohome TRV, and that the first thing to do would be replace all the TRVs with the Evohome ones.
    The second person he spoke to said that even though the RF signal might say it's excellent on the controller, it might not be, and so the BDR91 should be moved around. The second person also said that the On and Off frequency for hot water is different and so it would need to be excellent for both - albeit there is no way to check until it is in position.
    Based on the above, I am not convinced that speaking to Honeywell myself will provide any real benefit.

Honeywell have not said that it could be faulty, and so I have not explored that option.

I managed to get it up and running again through randomly pressing the button on the CS92 out of frustration and it was all working fine, for a few mins, then it failed. I decided to screw it back into the wall and forget about it. The signal then came back and was back for around 3 hours, when I then remotely put the hot water on for me coming in from a run. When I arrived home, the signal was lost and little hot water.
    I have removed the batteries and reinserted them (as seen on another thread), and the signal is back.

I can see on the other thread people have been bending and re-tensioning the battery fitments, but I really don't want to have to go through all that hassle for a product which is brand new and should work out of the box.

With the exception of the heating not getting to the desired temperature in some rooms (which I can live with for now), it works well and I am enjoying the convenience. However, even if it failed, I have secondary heating options.
    I do not have secondary hot water options currently, and am getting really brassed off with this CS92.
    I have had a faulty CS92 on an install before, however it wouldn't do what yours was doing. It would loose COMMS then pick it back up more or less straight away. However it would never play up to the extent of the customer having no hot water, more just that it would just flash up the error on the Controller.

Comment

• dty
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Aug 2016

They first told him that I am experiencing issues because not every radiator has the Evohome TRV, and that the first thing to do would be replace all the TRVs with the Evohome ones.
      That's total nonsense. There's no requirement to have HR92s on all radiators.

The second person he spoke to said that even though the RF signal might say it's excellent on the controller, it might not be, and so the BDR91 should be moved around. The second person also said that the On and Off frequency for hot water is different and so it would need to be excellent for both - albeit there is no way to check until it is in position.
      The first half of this sort of makes sense and sort of doesn't. What do CS92 problems have to do with the BDR91? Unless they're saying they think the CS92 is working fine, but then the link from the controller to the BDR91 is dodgy so you're not getting the right outcome? That's plausible. Remember, everything in Evohome talks via the controller - no other components talk to each other. How far are the CS92 and the BDR91 from the controller? We have a very large house (c. 4,000 sqft) with solid walls and we don't have these sorts of problems.

Based on the above, I am not convinced that speaking to Honeywell myself will provide any real benefit.
      Nothing to lose by trying!

I can see on the other thread people have been bending and re-tensioning the battery fitments, but I really don't want to have to go through all that hassle for a product which is brand new and should work out of the box.
      Again, it's worth a go. Your problems are broadly consistent with those reported by people who have battery connection issues. What have you got to lose?

Comment

• Stevedh
        Automated Home Guru
        • Mar 2017

quick question regarding the heating (I have a combi so know nothing about your hot water side of things).
        Was this a totally knew install with a new boiler, if so its likely that the boiler temperature may have been reduced to encourage condensing.. talk to your installer about it.
        Also a quite way to check if its the hr92 is to unclip it from the radiator. there is a little slider at the front. Once removed it will have no effect and as long as heat is being called for you can see how hot the radiator gets without the influence of the HR92.
        Also if you have an automatic bypass, it may be worth checking its setting,

Comment

• uhhu
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by dty View Post
          That's total nonsense. There's no requirement to have HR92s on all radiators.

The first half of this sort of makes sense and sort of doesn't. What do CS92 problems have to do with the BDR91? Unless they're saying they think the CS92 is working fine, but then the link from the controller to the BDR91 is dodgy so you're not getting the right outcome? That's plausible. Remember, everything in Evohome talks via the controller - no other components talk to each other. How far are the CS92 and the BDR91 from the controller? We have a very large house (c. 4,000 sqft) with solid walls and we don't have these sorts of problems.

Nothing to lose by trying!

Again, it's worth a go. Your problems are broadly consistent with those reported by people who have battery connection issues. What have you got to lose?
          I'm c. 5,000 sqft, also with solid walls. The solid walls means that the boiler has been fitted on the wall in the laundry room which shares the same wall as the kitchen. The BDR91s have been fitted within the kitchen to remove one wall as a barrier, and the cable comes through a hole in the wall. However, the CS92 is still in the laundry room. This is partly due to the length of the wire, it's not long enough to get up and through the hole above the kitchen cabinets. Having said this, the signal strength shows as good or excellent, so I shouldn't need to put the CS92 in the kitchen.
          The BDR91s are around 10m from the controller currently. The controller cannot be moved, as one of the radiators is at the opposite end of the house. The controller is in the sweet spot as it talks to every room that I have a TRV installed. There are rooms that the controller will not get to, which is a separate criticism of the Evohome system, but it's also due to having a bigger than average property, so I am in no position to start complaining.

I will give them a call now that the actuator problem has disappeared and its now only the signal failure.

I don't want to tamper with the CS92 in case it needs to go back, I wouldn't want to do something which would void the warranty on it.

Comment

• uhhu
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jan 2019

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
            Honeywell Valencia's by any chance ? I changed to those a few months ago and initially had problems, so I have a good suspicion about what your main problem may be. Try setting all your HR92's to stroke 1:

For each HR92 go into the settings menu (hold the button down until you see the menu appear) then go to option 6, press the button, change it from 0 to 1, press it again then go to exit and press it one last time. This will change the pin stroke to maximum stroke. Then trigger a re-calibration of the valve by unlatching it, lifting the HR92 off it's base, turn the black wheel fully anti-clockwise, then put the HR92 back on and latch it again to lock it in place. After about a minute you'll see CYCL as it cycles the pin through it's movement range.

If my hunch is right this will allow the radiators to get properly hot.
            So I tried this today on the worst of the radiators, and unfortunately the room temp. did not increase. I will speak to the installer about the size of the radiator and what he would expect as it may just be the radiator is not big enough.
            The radiator definitely feels hot hot, which was helped when I bled the radiators, and the system settings said that 100% was going to the room.

As this was a relatively easy job to do, I will likely do on all the radiators and see what effect this has, even if its 1c, then its a benefit.

Comment

• uhhu
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Jan 2019

This is the bane of my life.

1st time setup I had a couple of issues which resulted in my bringing all controls through a wall and into the kitchen with the two BDR91s the CS92 transceiver spaced out across the top of my kitchen cabinet making sure they are at least 30cm away from each other, and any metal objects.

Everything was okay for a couple of weeks, until this week when the heating BDR91 started flashing red. I was still able to control the heat to all the radiators with an Evohome zone valve (the radiators would call for heat when needed then stop calling for heat), but the green light never goes off when the Evohome radiators stopped calling for heat (for instance, overnight). The green light only goes off if I press the button. This means that all the radiators without an Evohome zone valve are constantly on.

I have done a factory reset on the controller, followed all the instructions on the controller, and still the green light will not go off with all radiators being set to off in the quick action on the controller. I read somewhere that it can take up to 4 minutes, and so I have waited, and waited, but nothing.
              At this point I have not set up the hot water to make sure I am not confusing the two BDR91s

Whilst typing this, I have just heard the BDR91 come on, even though the radiators are all set to off, and there is no hot water set up.

Where am I going so so wrong with this?

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                Automated Home Legend
                • Mar 2017

This is the bane of my life.

1st time setup I had a couple of issues which resulted in my bringing all controls through a wall and into the kitchen with the two BDR91s the CS92 transceiver spaced out across the top of my kitchen cabinet making sure they are at least 30cm away from each other, and any metal objects.

Everything was okay for a couple of weeks, until this week when the heating BDR91 started flashing red. I was still able to control the heat to all the radiators with an Evohome zone valve (the radiators would call for heat when needed then stop calling for heat), but the green light never goes off when the Evohome radiators stopped calling for heat (for instance, overnight). The green light only goes off if I press the button. This means that all the radiators without an Evohome zone valve are constantly on.

I have done a factory reset on the controller, followed all the instructions on the controller, and still the green light will not go off with all radiators being set to off in the quick action on the controller. I read somewhere that it can take up to 4 minutes, and so I have waited, and waited, but nothing.
                At this point I have not set up the hot water to make sure I am not confusing the two BDR91s

Whilst typing this, I have just heard the BDR91 come on, even though the radiators are all set to off, and there is no hot water set up.

Where am I going so so wrong with this?
                You've not by any chance changed the default cycles per hour or minimum on time in the settings have you? Originally I had mine set on 3 cycles per hour and 5 minute on time, however I was finding that with this setting the boiler relay was coming on when there was no demand from the system, so it was just circulating round the bypass valve. Not the same issue as yours but could possibly have an impact?

The only other issue that it could be is a COMMS issue, which from your past experience seems you suffer a lot of.

Comment

• uhhu
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Jan 2019

Originally posted by mtmcgavock View Post
                  You've not by any chance changed the default cycles per hour or minimum on time in the settings have you? Originally I had mine set on 3 cycles per hour and 5 minute on time, however I was finding that with this setting the boiler relay was coming on when there was no demand from the system, so it was just circulating round the bypass valve. Not the same issue as yours but could possibly have an impact?
                  Not touched any other settings. Before I did the factory reset, the most I had changed was the display and the order of the rooms. Since the factory reset I haven't even named my rooms.

Originally posted by mtmcgavock View Post
                  The only other issue that it could be is a COMMS issue, which from your past experience seems you suffer a lot of.
                  I thought the COMMS issues were behind me. I checked the RF signal before I bought all the kit, and I knew that in the furthest away room I wouldn't have a full signal, and that to get full signal for the relay/sensor, then it would need to go in the kitchen. According to the RF tester, the relays are in an excellent range of the controller.

I haven't had a red flashing light since doing the factory reset.

And I keep finding that the relay is turning the heating on even though it is switched off at the controller, three or four times I have had to turn it off manually.

There are no faults in the logbook since I did the factory reset.

When I put all zones to 21c, I can hear the valves opening up. But I am not seeing the BDR91 light up at the same time, albeit, it will come on. However, when I turn them all to OFF, the BDR91 will not go off, but I can hear the valves close.

Hot Water is doing nothing and is not showing any temp. There are no flashing lights, and the position of the relays/sensor has not changed since last it was last working.

And I have received the most unhelpful email:
                  We would like to notify you that the Total Connect Comfort service restored communication with the heating system installed in the following location:

Comment

Working...
                  X