• Show
Clear All
  • Hammers80
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2018

Using Y87RF as temperature sensor for Zone

Hello all.

I'm after some advice.

We have the HR92 valves on all the radiators in the house and I ma trying to use three Y87RF devices as the temperatire sensors for the 3 levels of our property.

However, I don't see this information on the minimal instructions provided by Honeywell.

Does anyone have a step by step guide they can lead me to?

Thanks,

Kevin
  • mtmcgavock
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Hammers80 View Post
    Hello all.

I'm after some advice.

We have the HR92 valves on all the radiators in the house and I ma trying to use three Y87RF devices as the temperatire sensors for the 3 levels of our property.

However, I don't see this information on the minimal instructions provided by Honeywell.

Does anyone have a step by step guide they can lead me to?

Thanks,

Kevin
    Are you trying to control 3 rooms, or 3 'levels'. If it's the latter i'm not sure why you'd want to do this if you have HR92s everywhere?

Comment

• Hammers80
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Nov 2018

Three levels.

There are curtains and radiator covers affecting many of the HR92s.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
        Automated Home Legend
        • Mar 2017

Three levels.

There are curtains and radiator covers affecting many of the HR92s.
        Have you got EvoHome set as 3 Zone Levels then, or each room individually?

If you've got each room individually then you can't just have 3 sensors on each level to control each zone. You'd need a sensor for each room.

Comment

• Hammers80
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Nov 2018

A bit of both. I think.

For example. On the top level of the house are the children's bedrooms.

They are included individually but I have also added a zone called 'kids bedrooms'.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
            Automated Home Legend
            • Mar 2017

A bit of both. I think.

For example. On the top level of the house are the children's bedrooms.

They are included individually but I have also added a zone called 'kids bedrooms'.
            If you want to do what you're saying then you'd have to set up 3 zones, so for instance Ground Floor, First Floor, and Second floor. Set these up as Single Room Zone (As MultiRoom will use the temperature sensors on the HR92s) then bind the HR92s on that level to the newly created zone. After you've done this you can then pair the T87RF as a remote sensor for each of those Zones.

However I don't see the point as you're essentially moving backwards towards an older system that uses one temperature sensor for each floor. So when the room where the T87RF is gets up to temperature all the other HR92s on that level will shut down, defeating the object of the HR92s and multi zoning each room.

Really you need to be putting T87RFs sensors in rooms that need them where curtains cover the valves etc.

Comment

• Hammers80
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Nov 2018

Hahahaha.

My wife would really hate me if I were to tell he we pretty much need one T87 per room.

Thanks for the advice. I will try to sort it out.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Sep 2014

Hahahaha.

My wife would really hate me if I were to tell he we pretty much need one T87 per room.
                So every room in the house has curtains over the HR92's ??

Evohome can't overcome the laws of physics. If an HR92 is covered by a curtain it can't sense the room temperature. The same applies to any TRV including conventional ones.

At least with an Evohome system you have the option to install a remote sensor if you want to. Whether you do is up to you. I only have remote sensors in rooms where I either want precise temperature control (Living room) or which potentially have to operate with a window above a radiator slightly open. (Bedrooms)

Things like hallways, bathroom, spare room etc don't need a precise temperature so an HR92's sensor is good enough in those cases.

Comment

• filbert
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Oct 2017

Here’s a thread that might also be useful if you do want to use individual room stats.

Last edited by filbert; 13 January 2019, 09:42 AM. Reason: Better info

Comment

Working...
                  X