• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cube
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2019

Quiet Window Blinds

Last year I installed two 12V Somfy made-to-measure window blinds in a bedroom complete with LTS remote to control them both.

I did wonder why the only video I could find of them in operation had a background muzak track rather than the actual sound of the blinds operating. Don't get me wrong, the blinds are great but I was a little surprised how much louder than expected they were. If I close both blinds simultaneously, at night, the whole house knows!

I see that Somfy now sell a range of motors from their 'Sonesse' range which they market for their quietness. Has anyone tried them and can compare them to the older models?

If they are appreciably quieter then it will be a case of finding a made-to-measure service that actually uses them.

Edit: I've since discovered my original supplier don't supply Sonesse motors because they are hard-wired into the mains rather than battery or transformer powered.
    Last edited by Cube; 14 January 2019, 04:24 PM. Reason: More information available
  • HeathU
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2014

I've just had 3 x Somfy Sonesse 40 RTS mains powered blinds installed. Two power 2.5M wide roller blinds in an open-plan kitchen and one is a 2M high roman blind.

Just had a listen to the kitchen blinds going up and down. The closest noise comparison I can come up with is a microwave with a quiet hum. They are incredible quiet.

We had ours wired through the wall to a fused spur. This is useful as both kitchen blinds wiring converge behind a mounted TV, so it's easy to power off the blinds for maintenance without having to remove the TV.

I've got pictures of how it's been wired if you're interested.

Comment

• Cube
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jan 2019

Thanks HeathU,

It sounds like the mains powered Sonesse motors are quieter than the low voltage versions. I'll take the 'quiet hum' of a microwave over the sound of a dentist's drill!

Comment

Working...
      X