Loxone - Anyone taken a look for as an alternative to Evohome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mtmcgavock
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2017

Loxone - Anyone taken a look for as an alternative to Evohome?

Been looking for a home automation system for some lighting and stumbled across Loxone in the process. Whilst looking into it for the lighting project, I found they do their equivalent to the HR92s in either battery 'Air' form or hard wired. Then their wall switches (Again hardwired or Air) act as Temperature and humidity sensors. Looked quite a neat solution to some of the issues that Evohome has. Obviously it involves a lot more configuration than just following a wizard on a controller as it's more home automation rather than a consumer based product.

So has anyone looked at it or has it (For heating control or other elements)? As think i'm going to bite the bullet and buy some stuff for the lighting project anyway.
  • basiluk
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Oct 2008

I have Evohome, Phiips Hue (Zigbee) and a mix of ZWave devices. I can tell you that much as I have criticisms of Evohome, their range and reliability beats Zigbee and Wave hands down. For a central heating and hot water system that's what I need.

With a light or appliance or curtain you can always manually override - Not so easy if you have automated your central heating/hot water.

Support wise you will find yourself in a poorer position as well. Honeywell do a decent job of support, just wish their dos were better written! (here much confusion on setup trouble shooting etc).

Comment

• Potes Smart Homes
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by mtmcgavock View Post
      Been looking for a home automation system for some lighting and stumbled across Loxone in the process. Whilst looking into it for the lighting project, I found they do their equivalent to the HR92s in either battery 'Air' form or hard wired. Then their wall switches (Again hardwired or Air) act as Temperature and humidity sensors. Looked quite a neat solution to some of the issues that Evohome has. Obviously it involves a lot more configuration than just following a wizard on a controller as it's more home automation rather than a consumer based product.

So has anyone looked at it or has it (For heating control or other elements)? As think i'm going to bite the bullet and buy some stuff for the lighting project anyway.
      Loxone are really good for lighting and heating control. As you said their range of products can be either hard wired or wireless (Air). As a minimum for retrofit you would need a Loxone miniserver go, an actuator valve per radiator to be controlled, a nano I/O which can control up to 2 lighting circuits or 1 lighting circuit off a dimmer (Air). The configuration software is free to download and if you have basic experience with Logic you are able to configure it yourself fairly straightforwardly. The Loxone customer support is first class so you can always be sure there's help on hand if you need it, and since they have a growing number of partners you can always be sure there'll be someone locally who is able to help in person.

Comment

Working...
      X