Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evohome local connection

Automated Home Sr Member

Default Evohome local connection

Is there any technical reason this can't be done. I had having to rely on Honeywell's servers, especially as they are going through maintenance and upgrading etc. It would be so nice to be able to stick in the local ip of the touchcontroller and use vpn or port forwarding while out etc...

anyway just a little rant as I keep finding they are down when I most want to use it..

Automated Home Ninja

Of course, there's no reason why Honeywell couldn't implement this. But right now, the controller isn't listening on any ports, and even if it was I doubt they'd publish the protocol used to talk to it.

Automated Home Sr Member

But they wouldn't have to if they added support in the app for it or something.

Automated Home Ninja

In the app? I'm confused now.

Automated Home Legend

I understood the email telling us about forthcoming maintenance to say we will retain control over our system locally but access on the web would suffer from time to time. Yesterday evening the app would not work, I tried it on two devices with the same result. This morning it works fine. I assume therefore that remote use via the app which connects wirelessly and locally is being affected.

Automated Home Sr Member

The app does not connect locally (which is one of my complaints), only the little touch controller does. When your sitting in your home with your phone connected to your wifi your app sends your commands to Honeywell's servers, which then translate and send them back to your controller.. I really really wish the app had a local control mode and worked a bit like my phones connection to my tivo..

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

As dty said, the controller isn't listening on any ports. It only makes outbound connections. I know the 868MHz side of Evohome is wide open, but the TCP/IP bit is pretty secure. Having ports open to listen for local app connections would blow that wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevedh View Post
    The app does not connect locally ... only the little touch controller does.
    The touch controller IS the system locally. It doesn't make local connections to anything other than via 868MHz (which your phone doesn't speak).
    Last edited by paulockenden; 23rd January 2019 at 09:08 AM.

Automated Home Legend

The app does not connect locally (which is one of my complaints), only the little touch controller does. When your sitting in your home with your phone connected to your wifi your app sends your commands to Honeywell's servers, which then translate and send them back to your controller.. I really really wish the app had a local control mode and worked a bit like my phones connection to my tivo..
    Of course you are right and here was I certain I could control from the app without an internet connection. I canít, as you say. I think I was confusing this with another app, that for my Hue lights, which I can operate with or without an internet connection to the server. If Philips can do it then so can Honeywell.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    As dty said, the controller isn't listening on any ports. It only makes outbound connections. I know the 868MHz side of Evohome is wide open, but the TCP/IP bit is pretty secure. Having ports open to listen for local app connections would blow that wide open.
    You can have secure local communications, are you saying it needs to be more secure then my router, nas, ip camera, pc etc..

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

You can have secure local communications, are you saying it needs to be more secure then my router, nas, ip camera, pc etc..
    If someone got onto your local network (perhaps via an insecure IoT device) they'd have access to all of those things. They wouldn't have access to your heating though because, as I said, Evohome doesn't have any open ports. It only makes outbound connections.