Hot water on Evo home Display says its off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fly100
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Sep 2018

Hot water on Evo home Display says its off.

Hello all,

Odd actions this morning, all heating and hot water are set to go off at 7:20am. This morning the boiler was still running at 8 am. I looked at the control boxes and the Hot water had a green light on. I checked the Evo home display unit and it showed water off as programed. So I turned it back on left for a few mins then turned it off, however the control box stayed lit and boiler continued to run.
    Pressing the button turned it off. I cycled the power but ran out of time as I had to leave for work.

Any thoughts ?

Many thanks,

FLY
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

Comms issue, perhaps? Have you moved where the controller sits recently? Or put any new metal objects (inc. mirrors etc.) in the line of sight between the controller and the DHW relay?

Comment

• Edinburgh2000
      Automated Home Guru
      • Dec 2016

What temperature was your Evotouch showing for the hot water? At this time of year I see my hot water coming on when it is scheduled to be off, because my incoming cold water is below 5oC. Even though I still have loads of hot water in my cylinder, the temperature probe is close to the inlet for the cold water and so registers the low temperature when water is flowing. Evohome decides that it wants to protect me from frost and heats my water whether I want it or not.

Comment

• Fly100
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Edinburgh2000 View Post
        What temperature was your Evotouch showing for the hot water? At this time of year I see my hot water coming on when it is scheduled to be off, because my incoming cold water is below 5oC. Even though I still have loads of hot water in my cylinder, the temperature probe is close to the inlet for the cold water and so registers the low temperature when water is flowing. Evohome decides that it wants to protect me from frost and heats my water whether I want it or not.
        I did think about that, now Ive spoken to Evo Home Support ( pretty poor service I have to say) and they inform me there is no frost protection or temp protection on the DHW units. So its odd it comes on. I cant over ride it with the unit it has to be via pressing the button on the receiver and turning the green light off.

Comment

• Edinburgh2000
          Automated Home Guru
          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Fly100 View Post
          .... Evo Home Support.... inform me there is no frost protection... on the DHW units.
          I can assure you (and "Evo Home Support") that there is frost protection, whether they call it that or not. The "Off" setting simply moves the setpoint to 5oC. It even applies the differential on that (i.e. my differential is set to 8o and, if my sensor reading drops to 4oC, the DHW will turn on and not go off until it gets to 13oC (5+8)).

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

I did think about that, now Ive spoken to Evo Home Support ( pretty poor service I have to say) and they inform me there is no frost protection or temp protection on the DHW units. So its odd it comes on. I cant over ride it with the unit it has to be via pressing the button on the receiver and turning the green light off.
            You haven't answered what temperature it was displaying at the time that it has some on. If it's near freezing as described by Edinburgh2000 then that's probably the issue and it's working as designed.

However if the reported temperature is a lot higher then its some kind of comms/binding issue, or perhaps even a faulty BDR91. Turning hot water on/off at the controller should take effect immediately - no delay like with heating zones.

Does it work properly if you pick the controller up and carry it near the BDR91 ?

You could try power cycling the BDR91 - to do that you'd need to either switch off the power for the circuit at your consumer unit, or if you have a main power switch before the boiler (as I do) that also turns power off for the BDR91's you could do it there.

Comment

• Fly100
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Sep 2018

Temp display showed 11C yesterday 12c day before and boiler ran. Ive had the controller near BDR91 an made no difference, also have power cycled everything with no change.
              The Controller does not show the boiler running during this mode.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Sep 2014

Temp display showed 11C yesterday 12c day before and boiler ran. Ive had the controller near BDR91 an made no difference, also have power cycled everything with no change.
                The Controller does not show the boiler running during this mode.
                If you go into the System installer menu, (long press on settings) system summary does it say 100% for stored hot water ?

If it says 0% and the BDR91 is still staying on my guess would be that you've double bound the hot water BDR91.

In that case I'd clear the bindings on all the BDR91's (long press the button on the relay for over 15 seconds) and in the controller set boiler control to none, stored hot water to none, then go back into stored hot water and rebind the hot water sensor, hot water relay and heating relays.
                Last edited by DBMandrake; 5 February 2019, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• Fly100
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Sep 2018

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                  If you go into the System installer menu, (long press on settings) system summary does it say 100% for stored hot water ?

If it says 0% and the BDR91 is still staying on my guess would be that you've double bound the hot water BDR91.

In that case I'd clear the bindings on all the BDR91's (long press the button on the relay for over 15 seconds) and in the controller set boiler control to none, stored hot water to none, then go back into stored hot water and rebind the hot water sensor, hot water relay and heating relays.
                  Many thanks I will try that over the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                  X