Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batteries - typical life and which type?

Automated Home Sr Member

Default Batteries - typical life and which type?

My system is approaching 15 months old so I'm starting to think about battery replacement. I've got 26 HR92s so that's a lot of batteries.

Having looked at battery specs and reviews I'm undecided about which brand, and whether to go for Alkaline or Lithium. Few batteries seem to have specified capacities and most reviews are subjective, not based on controlled measurements. Currently I'm leaning towards Energizer Ultimate Lithiums, but £65 (ouch!) for 50 is the best price I can find.
    Clearly battery life will depend on usage, but it would be useful to know which batteries people have tried and how often they typically need replacing in HR92s and the CS92?

Automated Home Guru

I've used Lithium batteries before, but only for locations that were difficult to access. I'd consider just buying a pack of standard AA's and going for those. Have a look at these for instance:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

80 for £20. You can get about 240 batteries like this for £60, so nearly 5 times as many.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DorrisMancer View Post
    Currently I'm leaning towards Energizer Ultimate Lithiums, but £65 (ouch!) for 50 is the best price I can find.
    There's a (good feedback) seller on ebay offering 24 for £20, and looks like they accept offers too. At less than £1 per battery that's a good price. Free postage too.

P.

Automated Home Ninja

I tend to use Energizer Ultimate Lithiums too. I picked up 50 for £40 from eBay before Christmas. They last about 2 years here - depending on how often the HR92 has to adjust itself.

Worth pointing out that you should adjust parameter 9 to match your battery type. (Set it to 1 for Lithium - I wrote "9=1" on my box, which confused my 10 year old!)

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by DorrisMancer View Post
    £65 (ouch!) for 50 is the best price I can find.
    24 here for £20: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X-24-AA-E...2ruC:rk:3:pf:1
    100 for £80: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X-100-AA-...ruC:rk:21:pf:0

So, that's 80p each. Or £1.60 for a pair for a single HR92. And if they last for 2 years, that works out at 1.5p per week. Seems like a bargain to me.

Automated Home Legend

I use the orange industrial ones sold on Amazon and buy them in bulk. They are the same as standard Duracells I believe but cheaper. I have tried different types but no noticeable difference amongst them - apart from the price. With most HR92s I get a little over a year out of them apart from one which consistently asks to be replaced every three months. Rather than wait to be told they are going down, as the system is not over clever at doing that, I have a diary note to replace all once a year.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

The lithium batteries last at least two years. Or rather, they do here.

It's more about convenience than cost for me. I don’t mind paying slightly over the odds if it means fewer battery changes.

Automated Home Sr Member

My system (13 HR92s) was installed in Oct 2017 and the batteries are GP brand - seems to be the sort you can get cheap in 'pound shop' establishments. They have started to fail. I have replaced 3 sets so far over the last couple of months.

I am replacing using GP batteries as I had them in stock and replacing, as and when the system tells me they need it, is not a big issue as all are easily accessible.

Automated Home Legend

It is being told batteries are failing I have an issue with. Yes a warning appears on the Panel, but only for a short time, if you don’t look at the Panel very often you will miss it and there is no warning in the app. My wife would certainly not have clue batteries may be failing. With other systems dependent on batteries, my outside cameras for example, I get a warning in the app of impending failure. Hence I decided to adopt the practice of change all once a year - except my study which seems to be every VAT quarter!

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    ...Yes a warning appears on the Panel, but only for a short time, if you donít look at the Panel very often you will miss it and there is no warning in the app.
    I don't know how long the warning on the Evohome unit stays up - maybe someone else can comment?

It was there the other morning when I got up and still there after breakfast - an hour or more - maybe a lot longer, depending on when it first appeared. - I don't know if it comes back if you acknowledge the warning message but don't swap the batteries.
    Then there's also an indicator against the zone on the unit, admittedly, the zone warning might be on screen two or three and not immediately obvious.

Maybe next time, I'll leave it and see what happens.

I don't use the app much, so I can't comment on that. Any family member would see the initial warning on the unit, it's very obvious.