Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Batteries - typical life and which type?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    It is being told batteries are failing I have an issue with. Yes a warning appears on the Panel, but only for a short time, if you don’t look at the Panel very often you will miss it and there is no warning in the app.
    This has been discussed before a few times - initially the warning will only appear intermittently and go away again, but eventually it will come on permanently.

This is probably because the battery voltage is only checked infrequently, (hourly I think ?) and if it happens to check while the motor on an HR92 is turning loading down the battery voltage this can trigger the low battery alert. And then next time the voltage is checked and the motor is not turning the battery voltage will have recovered to an acceptable level so the low battery alerted is cancelled and removed from the screen. (However it will still be listed in the fault logbook)

But give it a few more weeks and the battery will deteriorate to the point where the battery warning stays on continuously. Normally I replace the batteries when I get the earlier warnings however on a couple of rooms I have just let them go to see what happens and within a few weeks the warning comes on permanently while the HR92 is still functioning.

So it's not true to say that the warning is only ever displayed for a short time - that's only the case initially but if left longer it will come on and stay on permanently when the battery is sufficiently drained.

Automated Home Sr Member

Thanks everyone. FYI I've now ordered 100 Energizer Ultimate Lithiums for £75.

Automated Home Jr Member

That’s my routine too G4RHL. I change all the Evohome batteries in the 1st week of November... also have boiler serviced, so that the system is in good nick for the winter. I test the used batteries and keep those with some life left in a box labelled “ok for toys” and they tend to get used up around Christmas! I also change the batteries in the burglar alarm while I’m at it. My better half looks on and takes part so that if she has to carry on this tradition in my absence, she’ll be able to cope.
    I have a routine for testing used batteries. I set my multimeter to DC current (high range) and briefly connect the battery. A new, branded AA should deliver about 7Amps. After a year in a Honeywell rad valve the current is about 3Amps. Anything below 1.5A isn’t worth keeping.
    I also use this test to give me some idea of the “quality” of different brands of new batteries. Remember to dab the multimeter probes onto the battery for no more than a second! Also remember not to leave your multimeter set in any current measuring mode when you’ve done, or you will likely damage it if you try to measure a high voltage next time you come to use it!

Automated Home Sr Member

When buying batteries of of ebay (amazon too), what do you do to guard against fakes, is it just a matter of looking at reviews?

Automated Home Jr Member

For non critical things... toys, torches (you can tell when batts are fading), remote controls, etc I buy “cheap” and in bulk... for example a few years ago ikea own brand batteries got good reviews, so I stocked up on them.
    For things like Evohome, burglar alarm, cameras... I buy branded (Duracell, Energizer etc) in the possibly mistaken belief that they are more consistently reliable. As I mentioned, I also change batteries on a schedule (in my phone diary), and keep them for use in all sorts of trivia that kids and grandkids seem to acquire and often grow tired of, or break, before the batteries have expired. I prefer changing batteries at a time of my choosing, rather than at the whim of the equipment!