Aqualisa Q and control of extractor fan (with Rako)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HeathU
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2014

Aqualisa Q and control of extractor fan (with Rako)

Hi,

Why oh why, when speaking to the majority of electricians and plumbers do I get a look of shock when discussing any form of automation?! Automation systems have been around of years yet I'm still looked at as if I'm an early adopter.

At home I use Rako Controls for downstairs lighting (due to a renovation), Evohome for HW/CH and SmartThings for other automation voodoo. For our new bathroom project, I'm planning to use a Rako wireless battery switch panel to operate the lights and Sonos (via Rako Gateway that I already own). I've selected an Aqualisa Q for the shower, mainly for the digital capability and family friendly interface.

I've been told I need to have an extractor fan, which the electrician even after knowing my other automated aspects of the house, suggested I use a pull string to turn on the fan!! I don't want the fan to come on when the lights come on, even though that is possible using Rako + modules. I do want the fan to come on when the shower comes on.

So, is it possible to put a relay of sorts in between the Aqualisa Q and pump (comes with the Q) and the extractor fan?

Hoping for some quick useful responses as the trades are on site this week.

Many thanks.
  • franktate
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Feb 2007

It should definitely be possible. Is the project now complete? How did you get on?

Frank

Comment

• HeathU
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Apr 2014

Hi Frank,

I came up with a less complicated solution (I hope!), but untested so far. I purchased a Xpelair Humidi/Timer Extract Fan (XPEC4HTR) which should power when required.

I won't know whether it was a good idea until the project is completed towards the end of March.

If anyone has any experience of setting up this type of humidity extractor please share.

Thanks.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

For set up you just select the fan speed its either fast or slow. I guess Slow for cloakrooms and fast for bathrooms. Then there is a humidity setting this is a bit counter intuitive in my opinion and normally need to be turned counter clockwise so it comes on sooner rather than later. Then finally there is the timer normally seconds to minutes. These fans have an automatic mode, self explanatory I think. And a manual mode, sometime called external mode, this means that the fan comes on when the bathroom light comes on and stays on for the amount of set minutes and then goes into automatic mode, which in my experience means it probably will turn on again.
        Getting the humidity level correct, may take time. Too low and the fan may have a mind of its own, and too high and it doesn't do its job properly and you start getting mold growing. The fans will also need cleaning at least once a month, its surprising how much fluff and dust they pick up.
        Got called out to a rental flat, because the tennant had said the extractor wasn't working. Basically they hadn't cleaned it for a whole year. So had to explain to them that they needed to clean it every month.
        I will be interested to hear how you get on, as technology has probably got better. As in my experience this type of fan tends to come on more than the normal timer fans, so don't last as long. I have changed out quite a few timer and humidity fans to normal ones.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• TimH
          Automated Home Legend
          • Feb 2004

I tried this with a cylinder thermostat on the hot feed to the shower, the stat then switched the live to the extractor. It was for a pumped Aqualisa Quartz shower.
          The "automation" wasn't great :-(
          The fan took too long to come on, and far too long to go off...

I'd planned to replace it with one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ONE-CLICK-D.../dp/B000MPJSL0 (think there was also an Energenie version but can't find it now).

Basic premise is when the shower pump comes on, the above unit switches on the extractor (makes the switched live actually live). When the shower pump goes off, the switch live goes off and the fan overrun is controlled "as normal" by the permanent live to the fan.

Never implemented the revised configuration however, as the house was remodelled before I got time.

HTH,
          Tim.
          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
          X