• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndyTriumpH
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2016

Evohome Wireless Radiator Valve Problem with Battery Holder

Hi

I have a couple of Evohome Wireless Radiator Valves where I have noticed via the Control Panel had lost sync. Thinking that it may have been the batteries going flat, I then noticed after replacing them that the valves would only operate if you press down hard on the battery holder. If you simply close the battery holder the valve won't show any sign of life. There has been no mishandling of the valves and it is only two that have this problem.

So, I am wondering if anyone knows why it is happening, and whether there is a simple fix that I could do to get them working again without new ones, which I would like to try and avoid.

Thanks
  • dty
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Aug 2016

Yes, this is a known issue. You just need to gently bend the contacts a little bit.

Comment

• AndyTriumpH
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Apr 2016

Thanks for replying.

I did try with the screw driver lever up the contacts at the base and tried bowing the contacts at the top, but this didn't work and the valve only worked when I pressed right down. Is this a particular way/direction the contacts need to be bent, and is it the bottom contacts or the top ones?

Comment

• DBMandrake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by AndyTriumpH View Post
        Thanks for replying.

I did try with the screw driver lever up the contacts at the base and tried bowing the contacts at the top, but this didn't work and the valve only worked when I pressed right down. Is this a particular way/direction the contacts need to be bent, and is it the bottom contacts or the top ones?
        You need something like a small flat blade jewlers screwdriver - if you look carefully at the bottom contacts from underneath you'll see they're V shaped with a third bit in the middle - it's this middle bit that you need to bend up about 2mm without trying to bend the outside bits of the contact, as it's this middle bit that presses on the battery. Sorry for the vague description.

The flat shorting bar at the top bends rather easily too - if you're still having trouble make sure that is flat or just slightly bent up at the edges as that will help it press down more. It's mainly the bottom contacts that are the problem though.

The battery contacts are just plated mild steel in the HR92's rather than a proper grade of spring steel, so it's inevitable that the weight of the batteries will gradually cause them to sag, as will pushing down too hard on the batteries when fitting new ones.

I've had to re-tension the contacts on every single HR92 in my house in the 3 years that I've had the system - some multiple times! It's a common enough issue that I check the contact tension whenever I change the batteries.

Comment

Working...
        X