• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • holybob
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2006

HR92 vs Tado motor volume?

Has anyone compared the two? I'm torn between two systems having started down the Evohome route then diverted down the Tado route. I won't bore you.

Tado TRV motors are louder than I'd like. Has anyone heard them vs Evohome HR92s? Is either brand louder / quieter? It may be a deciding factor...

The only other compelling thing for me is that I'm slightly nervous that all Tado stuff is cloud based. If I'm working away and the internet goes down for some reason, the whole house gets very cold..... Not good for the wife acceptance factor. But then, it's swings and roundabouts - Tado's location based control is amazing.

But Tado TRVs wake me up in the morning with the motor noise....
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

I doubt you'll find your house will end up cold due to the internet going down. While Tado is cloud based I believe (but am not certain) that the schedule for each zone is downloaded into and stored in the TRV's, so that should the internet go down, each device will continue with it's regular schedule, and I believe you can locally override a zone on the TRV itself as well.

However schedule changes or manual overrides via the app would not work for the duration of the internet being down, nor would the geolocation features. One way to find out for sure would be to unplug the tado internet bridge gizmo and see how much still works and whether zones still follow their preset schedules! Let us know the result if you do try it as I too am curious.

The reliance on an internet connection for core functionality is one thing that puts me off Tado vs Evohome, although a work college of mine who has Tado V3 is perfectly happy with it and has not had any issues, and I'm a bit envious of some of the features we don't have in Evohome like the built in graphing in the Tado app.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 16 February 2019, 10:43 PM.

Comment

• Hankscorpion
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Aug 2017

I’ve had both Evohome and Tado rad valves. Got rid of both of them, as for me, they were both too noisy.

Also with Tado, when we lost the internet, we also lost the heating schedule and woke up to a cold house a couple of times.

They might have changed this as I have been back on Evohome setup for over a year and run it using 3 zones in the house with BDR’s.

I liked Tado but the thermostat failed after 2 years and they would not replace it so i had reliability concerns and switched.

Comment

• Jabes
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Aug 2017

Without the internet, there is no schedule with Tado.
        The TRVs can call for heat and the boiler will modulate, but no schedule changes will take place - to lower the zones.

So if your internet is down overnight (or if tado cloud services are down), your heating won't turn on in the morning.

I really liked the tado software, and the look of the TRVs - but I ultimately sent it back and installed evohome.

Best wishes
        James

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Jabes View Post
          Without the internet, there is no schedule with Tado.
          The TRVs can call for heat and the boiler will modulate, but no schedule changes will take place - to lower the zones.

So if your internet is down overnight (or if tado cloud services are down), your heating won't turn on in the morning.
          Wow, that is really disappointing to learn. Kinda rules it out for me then as we have had a bit of trouble with our internet connection on and off.

Comment

• Stevedh
            Automated Home Guru
            • Mar 2017

And I thought evohome was bad with the the internet limitations on the app, but at least its controller works directly.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jul 2014

Nest was in the news recently for exactly the same reason. Their cloud service went down and people woke up to cold houses.

Comment

• Jabes
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Aug 2017

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                Wow, that is really disappointing to learn. Kinda rules it out for me then as we have had a bit of trouble with our internet connection on and off.
                I am pretty sure Wiser works in the same fashion as Evohome, logic is all local - internet connectivity influences the local controller.

Best wishes
                James

Comment

Working...
                X