• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcockerell
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Jan 2009

Android Noticeboard App

Hi,

Last year our old 'weather centre' in the kitchen packed up and I installed Karam's Noticeboard app to give us the external temperature on our mobiles.
    All was working well until our Cortex PC 'died' about a month ago - I suspect a failed Windows 10 update as the hardware tests clean.
    Having rebuilt the PC I reinstalled Cortex and restored the licence, certificates and latest configuration - it's backed up daily.
    However, the automatic Noticeboard events don't seem to be working - but they display perfectly if triggered manually.

I'm quite bemused - any ideas?

Regards,
    Martin

BT3 Pro, Windows 10 Pro, Cortex W10.0.6
  • Karam
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2005

What do you mean by triggered manually? Do you mean the mechanism for forcing collection of data from Cortex at the app side (touching progress bar), or do you mean the update of noticeboard data itself on the Cortex side noticeboard?

Comment

• mcockerell
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Jan 2009

Hi Karam,
      No - I mean that the updates come through, and appear on the app, if I use the 'Test' mechanism to send them.
      Everything was working as expected previously, but not since I have restored the system.
      Regards, Martin

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

we use our tablets for displaying weather data ... the source of the data being the Met.Office website ... and, at various times during the last couple of months, we've found that the automatic update hasn't got through ... looking at the Logs, we find WebClient errors - viz: "HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden", followed by "failed to decode response string to JSON" ... when we notice the data is missing, triggering manually (ie: clicking a button connected to do this) has always worked ...
        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Karam
          Automated Home Legend
          • Mar 2005

Ah, are we talking about the Web Client collecting a Met office weather report (As opposed to a temperature value from an IDRATEK module)? If the former then you will have to check the mechanism that is triggering the Web Client updates. Typically this will be an entry in the scheduller which triggers the Web Client Met office GET entry every hour say.

As to why something might have changed, is it possible that in rebuilding you have moved to a different version of Cortex? If so, could be some change has had a knock on effect. But we first need to understand what it is that is presently not causing the automatic triggers.

In response to Chris's comment, yes it is possible sometimes that the Met office server has not responded correctly at the time of the trigger point. So I guess it depends on what type of weather report you are getting as to how noticeable this will be vs frequency of collection (which I think they don't like to be so high)

Comment

• mcockerell
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Jan 2009

No, I am talking about displaying the temperature measured by an external Idratek module on a Cortex noticeboard.

Anyway, here's an update: I re-installed Cortex W10 (10.0.04) and then upgraded to 10.0.06; last time I installed 10.0.04 and then restored a backup over the top. This seems to have resolved the problem with the automatic updates and they are now appearing on the Android app as before. So I guess that's the method that needs to be used for any future re-installs (it is OK to restore the logs, databases and licence files 'though).

However, Chris's question about the log files seems to have identified a different problem, or rather two of them - but I'm going to start another thread for that.

Thanks for your feedback.
            Martin

Comment

Working...
            X