• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tractorboy
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2015

How smart is Evohome?

I love how Evohome optimisation copes with changing conditions, and the other smart features like “window open” too. But can anyone with more experience and knowledge advise how it copes with changes to the heating hardware? For example, if I change a radiator in a zone for one that is more powerful, will Evohome eventually learn the new characteristics of the zone? What if double glazing or other additional insulation is installed? Will Evohome adapt, or should I delete the zone and then set up and bind the components to a newly created zone on the controller?
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

I believe (but might be wrong) that it adapts faster for a few days with a new install and/or a new zone, and then micro-adjusts after that. So if I'm right it will eventually settle in the new place if you just leave it alone, but it'll get there quicker if you create a new zone.

Comment

• DanD
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Feb 2016

My experience from both swapping HR92s between zones (without any deletion or re-binding, just zone renaming) and other alterations (valve replacement, radiator bleeding and a powerflush) has been that the zone adaptation becomes noticeable within about 3-5 days and settles down pretty quickly after that. The most extreme changes involved moving HR92s from modern well insulated areas to old poorly insulated areas, or vice versa, and within about a week they settled down well and the changes in optimisation start/stop were particularly noticeable. I've found this adaptation very reliable and effective, so I don't mess around with deleting/adding zones.

Comment

• Fly100
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Sep 2018

My experience is mine don't adapt to well at all. I'm constantly overshooting the target temps by 3c. I've tried resetting but oddly they still keep their names. To that note im not sure I've don't it correctly.
        FLY
        Last edited by Fly100; 21 February 2019, 10:55 AM.

Comment

• Tractorboy
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Nov 2015

I’ve installed 4 Evohome systems... my own, another family member, a friend and a person who somehow heard I had some knowledge and asked me to help them. I only have day to day experience with my own system and my family member. In both cases, all zones are always +/-0.5C during their “on” times. It’s important to keep internal doors shut, and I sometimes see a variation of 1 degree for half an hour after window curtains are opened and closed.
          I’d say there’s something wrong if you are 3 degrees off target. Maybe the heads are in a “difficult” location (draughty or otherwise not representative of the room temperature). I have 3 zones where I use separate DTS92s as the sensor, and one zone using the sensor built into the controller:
          1 zone has the head right beside an external door
          1 has the head between the wall and the beside a chest of drawers.
          1 is the stairwell including front door and a total of 9 internal doors. I found that none of the rads gave good control, but a wall mounted DTS92 fixed the issue.

You might also like to try changing the HR92 setting that alters the range of operation of the actuator (sorry - can’t remember the proper name for it).

Also... it may be, if a room is consistently too warm, that it is getting heat from surrounding rooms. Our dining room is south facing with one outside wall and 3 walls all with heated rooms on the other side, and the room above also heated. Although I have it set to be at 19C 6pm-9pm, it never falls below 20C in waking and the rad never comes on because of solar gain and heat leaking from other rooms. So you could say that there is a permanent 1C error in that room.
          Finally, unsure what you mean by “resetting”. In the past, if I get in a muddle with a particular zone I will ‘delete’ the zone in the zone config menu, and recreate it and reset then rebound the valves and thermostats.

Comment

Working...
          X