• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dty
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Aug 2016

Multiple Evohome controllers

I知 going to have to add a second EvoHome controller to my house. Does anyone have any experience of operating with two controllers? I知 particularly interested to hear from anyone with multiple controllers AND OpenTherm.

Thanks!
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by dty View Post
    I’m going to have to add a second EvoHome controller to my house. Does anyone have any experience of operating with two controllers? I’m particularly interested to hear from anyone with multiple controllers AND OpenTherm.
    Is binding two controllers to a single opentherm bridge even supported ? If so would it just use the higher heat demand of the two demands being sent to it at any given time ?

Presumably only one controller would be configured to control hot water ? Questions, questions...

Comment

• dty
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Aug 2016

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
      Is binding two controllers to a single opentherm bridge even supported ? If so would it just use the higher heat demand of the two demands being sent to it at any given time ?
      I'm reliably informed that it will. No idea how it aggregates the demands. I'd still like to hear from someone who's done it.

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
      Presumably only one controller would be configured to control hot water ? Questions, questions...
      Correct. Why would you need two controllers both monitoring the hot water? The hot water is essentially just another type of zone - albeit with slightly different operating parameters.

Comment

• DanD
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Feb 2016

Hi dty,

It certainly looks like the R8810A Opentherm bridge supports the binding of multiple controllers based upon its installation guide, but unfortunately I can't locate any reference documentation which describes these specifications ie. maximum number of devices unlike the BDR91 which does provide these specifications. The R8810A is also compatible with other Honeywell thermostats e.g. CM727 & DT92E so its plausible that it combines heat demand requests from multiple devices in a similar way to the BDR91. I don't have the R8810A though so can't test it out, but if you have one of the DT92E room thermostats you could try testing out binding it directly to the R8810A as an additional heat demand device (in exactly the same way as your second Evohome controller would be). This might be a quick way of testing the functionality before you invest in another Evohome controller, though it'll obviously be a bit of a pain clearing the bindings on each device and reinstating your previous configuration after testing.

PS are you absolutely certain that you need a second controller? My Evohome set-up has 16 radiators spread across 14 rooms and I find the multi-room zone feature works OK to combine rooms where you are happy to share the same schedule, but allows different heat demands from each radiator.

Regards,

Dan

Comment

• GreenGuy
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jun 2018

This may help which says A maximum of four evohome controllers can be bound to one R8810A OpenTherm Bridge. https://ensupport.getconnected.honey...language=en_US

Comment

• DanD
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Feb 2016

Excellent! Thanks for highlighting that piece of information, it was exactly what I was trying to track down.

Comment

• paulockenden
              Automated Home Legend
              • Apr 2015

Shame it doesn't expand on the behaviour when there's multiple inputs. I'm guessing it would be sum, max, avg, or some weighted combination of these.

P.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                Shame it doesn't expand on the behaviour when there's multiple inputs. I'm guessing it would be sum, max, avg, or some weighted combination of these.
                Almost certainly just max like the heat aggregation in the evotouch itself.

Comment

• dty
                  Automated Home Ninja
                  • Aug 2016

Originally posted by DanD View Post
                  PS are you absolutely certain that you need a second controller? My Evohome set-up has 16 radiators spread across 14 rooms and I find the multi-room zone feature works OK to combine rooms where you are happy to share the same schedule, but allows different heat demands from each radiator.
                  Yes. Range has always been a bit touch-and-go here with the controller placed in an awkward central location. Now we've refurbed one of the furthest rooms from the controller and moved the radiator, it gets no signal at all.

We have 24 rads. Right now, they're spread over 11 zones, but 7 of them are in a multi-room "Downstairs" zone because our downstairs is relatively open-plan. But this means that we can't control that space will wall-mounted thermostats. So we have to use HR92s with offsets. Unfortunately, given the siting of some of the heads, together with some other factors, even a -3C offset isn't enough to get some of the areas within the space up to temperature adequately. (Aside: why limit the offset to +/- 3, I wonder?) The corner of our kitchen where our breakfast table is, for example, is consistently 1-2C below the setpoint because it has two external walls with French doors and a flat roof above. And we can't compensate by raising the setpoint because that would affect all the other rooms in the mega-zone.

TL;DR: yes.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by dty View Post
                    We have 24 rads. Right now, they're spread over 11 zones, but 7 of them are in a multi-room "Downstairs" zone because our downstairs is relatively open-plan. But this means that we can't control that space will wall-mounted thermostats. So we have to use HR92s with offsets. Unfortunately, given the siting of some of the heads, together with some other factors, even a -3C offset isn't enough to get some of the areas within the space up to temperature adequately. (Aside: why limit the offset to +/- 3, I wonder?)
                    Probably because if you need more than 3 degrees you REALLY need a wall stat.
                    The corner of our kitchen where our breakfast table is, for example, is consistently 1-2C below the setpoint because it has two external walls with French doors and a flat roof above. And we can't compensate by raising the setpoint because that would affect all the other rooms in the mega-zone.
                    Actually you can compensate them individually if they need different calibrations. If you have the mega-zone of 7 radiators configured in multi-room mode every HR92 is using its own built in temperature sensor. That means the built in calibration offset will be operational and this offset will be independent for each HR92 and not affect the heating of other radiators in the same zone.

The calibration adjustment of an HR92 only affects other radiators in a single room zone, and only if the HR92 in question is the master HR92 for the zone that is acting as sensor. On other HR92's in a single room zone that are not the designated sensor, the calibrate setting does nothing!
                    Last edited by DBMandrake; 26 February 2019, 05:35 PM.

Comment

• dty
                      Automated Home Ninja
                      • Aug 2016

Ha! Yes, you're right. What I meant was, having dialled in -3C for this particular rad, and the breakfast area still being 1-2C lower than required, I have no further options but to try and use the setpoint to compensate. And if I do that, it will affect the whole zone.

Comment

• kevinsmart
                        Automated Home Ninja
                        • Sep 2018

Does anyone have multiple EvoHome controllers working with OpenTherm?

I致e just moved into a new house. It has 17 thermostats (!) controlling UFH via 4 manifolds, a few towel radiators and DHW. Vokera Unica OpenTherm LPG boiler.

I think I値l need two controllers. I miss EvoHome already, unable to monitor temperatures, optimize schedule.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jul 2014

The OTB, like the BDR91 can be paired with up to 4 devices. You simply pair both your Controllers to the same OTB at the boiler. It really is quite clever.

Comment

Working...
                          X