Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Evohome new install

  1. #1
    Automated Home Lurker
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default Evohome new install

    Hi,

    I just getting to the point where I can finally install my evohome after ordering it 2 months ago (building delays)

    So I have bought the following

    5 x HR92 TRV (controlling 5 rads, each its own zone)
    4 X BDR19 wireless relays
    Hot water kit
    2 x wireless thermostats (T87R)
    HCE80 ufh controller
    Evohome WiFi controller

    My heating is setup as follows
    I have 5 rads (bedrooms x 3, hallway x 1, front room x 1) - single zone

    Two under floor heating zones

    Lastly one radiator in outhouse - itís own zone

    I have a valiant system boiler (637) and a tempest Telford unvented cylinder

    I am guessing I need to do the following

    For each the central heating zone valves I would use a BDR relay and one BDR for the underfloor heating and one for the hot water.

    Is this correct?

    When binding the devices do I bind the TRV then bind the BDR 5 times?

    The hot water kit how do I use the immersion sensor to ensure we donít lose the protection from the overheating thermostat?

    Trying to find a locally installer in Ilford but no luck, and my plumber and I trying to figure this out. I think we are almost there just stuck a little. Any help would be appreciated. Happy to provide diagrams and pictures

  2. #2
    Automated Home Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Can't really comment on personal views with respect to zoning, but it seems to me you are missing a rather vital element here. In essence the first thing you should do is replace the original wired thermostat function with a BDR unit - this will most likely have to be a modulating version. Once you register that BDR unit to the Evohome touch controller you should already be able to control your heating as a single zone. From there on you just add zones to control individual or groups of radiators and UFH that will all reference the central controller what BDR unit to switch on whenever there is a heat demand.

  3. #3
    Automated Home Lurker
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Hi @gordonb3, thank you for replying.

    Maybe I should clarify, this is a brand new install of everything, my house was fully gutted and renovated. So the boiler and cylinder are brand new and have just been installed. Rather then go down the route of a standard thermostat, I went for Evohome from the start.

    What I am trying to achieve is the following:

    5 x Radiators controlled by Evohome using the HR92 TRV and a BDR to control the Central Heating two port zone valve
    1 x Radiator in the outhouse (which has its own two port zone valve) would be controlled via a T87R and a BDR connected to its dedicated two port zone valve
    2 x UFH zones connected via the HCE80 and a BDR to control the UFH two port zone valve

    Lastly to control the hot water in the cylinder, I could use the Hot Water Kit and the BDR to control the hot water two port zone valve.

    I am correct in my design above, and has anyone got any experience with the Tempest Telford unvented cylinder and connected the immersion sensor ?

  4. #4
    Automated Home Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    NE UK
    Posts
    1,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snake007uk View Post
    Hi @gordonb3, thank you for replying.

    Maybe I should clarify, this is a brand new install of everything, my house was fully gutted and renovated. So the boiler and cylinder are brand new and have just been installed. Rather then go down the route of a standard thermostat, I went for Evohome from the start.

    What I am trying to achieve is the following:

    5 x Radiators controlled by Evohome using the HR92 TRV and a BDR to control the Central Heating two port zone valve
    1 x Radiator in the outhouse (which has its own two port zone valve) would be controlled via a T87R and a BDR connected to its dedicated two port zone valve
    2 x UFH zones connected via the HCE80 and a BDR to control the UFH two port zone valve

    Lastly to control the hot water in the cylinder, I could use the Hot Water Kit and the BDR to control the hot water two port zone valve.

    I am correct in my design above, and has anyone got any experience with the Tempest Telford unvented cylinder and connected the immersion sensor ?
    Unless I have missed something you may not need the two port valve for the outhouse. If the outhouse is configured as a zone then you operate your heating as and when you want and if it is an outhouse you want the radiator set to the minimum of 5c anyway. There may be some building regulation requirement that required you to put a valve in the outhouse circuit but it seems the valve is not necessary. My conservatory is configured as a zone set to the minimum temperature of 5c all the time and we just dial up the heat if we want to use it in cooler times. Nowadays I believe the regs say a conservatory cannot be heated off the house central heating circuit. It is not for safety reasons but solely for fuel saving but with Evohome setup it does that for you.

    When binding it all remember to configure the hot water first before the heating. The instruction book is not wonderful but if the instructions are methodically followed it should end up working OK.

  5. #5
    Automated Home Lurker
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    So I was going to avoid using the hot water kit, as I am not 100% sure what to do with the immersion sensor. Maybe get it added later when I can find a official evohome installer locally.

  6. #6
    Automated Home Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    NE UK
    Posts
    1,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snake007uk View Post
    So I was going to avoid using the hot water kit, as I am not 100% sure what to do with the immersion sensor. Maybe get it added later when I can find a official evohome installer locally.
    I left my immersion heater and in place but switched off. Itís a backup in case the Evohome system fails. I fitted the Evohome sensor etc for the hot water and it works well.

  7. #7
    Automated Home Lurker
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Hi G4RHL,

    How did you fit it, I mean the thermostat that is fitted to the cylinder is for overheating protection (from my understanding) I have to remove this and out the immersion sensor in place, would this take care of the overhearing aspect?

  8. #8
    Automated Home Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    NE UK
    Posts
    1,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snake007uk View Post
    Hi G4RHL,

    How did you fit it, I mean the thermostat that is fitted to the cylinder is for overheating protection (from my understanding) I have to remove this and out the immersion sensor in place, would this take care of the overhearing aspect?
    My hot water cylinder already had an immersion heater. Just a standard one with a calibration dial on the top and connected to mains power. The thermostat within it is simply built in as part of the heating element. That was left in place. The Evohome one comprises three things. A sensor which is strapped to the side of the tank to sense the temperature, the transmission box to pick up the sensor signals and a normal BDR relay to fire up the boiler when triggered. The immersion is there as a stand by but it is no more than a bog standard immersion heater.

  9. #9
    Automated Home Lurker
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    My hot water cylinder already had an immersion heater. Just a standard one with a calibration dial on the top and connected to mains power. The thermostat within it is simply built in as part of the heating element. That was left in place. The Evohome one comprises three things. A sensor which is strapped to the side of the tank to sense the temperature, the transmission box to pick up the sensor signals and a normal BDR relay to fire up the boiler when triggered. The immersion is there as a stand by but it is no more than a bog standard immersion heater.
    Mine is the same in terms of the immersion heater and the thermostat/aquastat. Since my one is a unvented cylinder I cannot use the strapon sensor and have to use the immersion sensor, the question is where do I put this? there doesn't seem to be anywhere to place it.

    Do i even need the hot water kit? What do I lose if I dont have it.

  10. #10
    Automated Home Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    NE UK
    Posts
    1,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snake007uk View Post
    Mine is the same in terms of the immersion heater and the thermostat/aquastat. Since my one is a unvented cylinder I cannot use the strapon sensor and have to use the immersion sensor, the question is where do I put this? there doesn't seem to be anywhere to place it.

    Do i even need the hot water kit? What do I lose if I dont have it.
    If I remember correctly for the hot water kit two methods can be used. The one I use which is the sensor strapped to the outside of the tank but an alternative is a sensor to go in the tank and am I right thinking that that goes in the top where you would put the immersion heater element? I am sure there is somebody out there who has done this?

    I would rather heat my water using my boiler than electricity!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •