• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kimber.kimber
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Jan 2017

No hot water

So tonight, just before I went to give the lad a bath, I noticed the hot water said 24 degrees. Queue the looking at the app, controller, valves etc. I manually opened valves to get enough for bath time, but did notice the BD91 had a solid red light on it.

Bath time over, and system appears to have woken back up, solid green light on the BD91.

Any ideas?
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

Solid red light on a BDR91 means it has been out of comms with the controller for a full hour. Given that the controller will send heat demand updates to the BDR91's at least once every 20 minutes (and also when the heat demand changes) that indicates some pretty serious comms issues.

Comment

• kimber.kimber
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
      Solid red light on a BDR91 means it has been out of comms with the controller for a full hour. Given that the controller will send heat demand updates to the BDR91's at least once every 20 minutes (and also when the heat demand changes) that indicates some pretty serious comms issues.
      Odd, as nothing has changed. Installation has been in for 2 years, but I have had a similar thing happen once before.

Any ideas why it would suddenly lose comms?

Comment

• DBMandrake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by kimber.kimber View Post
        Odd, as nothing has changed. Installation has been in for 2 years, but I have had a similar thing happen once before.

Any ideas why it would suddenly lose comms?
        The most likely thing would be a large object has moved near either the controller or BDR91.

I've had complete loss of comms to one of my BDR91's once before. Two of them are installed in the boiler cupboard which is built into the back porch which backs off the kitchen. I had put a portable dehumidifier in the kitchen in the middle of the floor about a metre from the wall that the BDR91's were on the opposite side of, and roughly in line with the path to the controller. Despite the total distance being only about 6 metres it caused a complete loss of comms and the red light to come on as happened to you.

The dehumidifier wasn't even plugged in! Just sitting on the floor, and it's less than a metre tall. Just the fact that it had a big block of metal in it and it was near the BDR91 was enough to cause an issue with the wireless signal. Kinda disappointing really just how sensitive this system is to placement of obstacles and how finicky the wireless comms can be.

Comment

• kimber.kimber
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Jan 2017

Interesting. Might be the travel cot which has gone back into the airing cupboard. Funny how it’s only affected the HW and not the open therm, but sounds like a similar situation to yours. I removed this when I was poking around, so might have been the key to restarting comms...

You’d think the whacking great water cylinder or boiler sitting under it would cause more of an issue...

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

Interesting. Might be the travel cot which has gone back into the airing cupboard. Funny how it’s only affected the HW and not the open therm, but sounds like a similar situation to yours. I removed this when I was poking around, so might have been the key to restarting comms...

You’d think the whacking great water cylinder or boiler sitting under it would cause more of an issue...
            Might be worth checking the batteries in the temperature sensor for rather tank, if you have one, are OK.

Comment

• DBMandrake
              Automated Home Legend
              • Sep 2014

Low batteries in the temperature sensor won't cause a red light on the BDR91 - that is only caused by a loss of comms from controller to BDR91.

Comment

• kimber.kimber
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                Might be worth checking the batteries in the temperature sensor for rather tank, if you have one, are OK.
                Cheers for this. Would they not flag on the base station like the HR92's?

Comment

• DBMandrake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Sep 2014

Cheers for this. Would they not flag on the base station like the HR92's?
                  One would assume so, but I've never had a low battery warning from the hot water sensor before.

They usually start to get a bit "cranky" well before any low battery warning so I tend to change the batteries before any low battery warning when I see symptoms of intermittent performance.

I think next time I'll fit Lithium batteries as the CS92A seems to be quite sensitive to low battery voltage and a Lithium battery will keep a higher terminal voltage through much more of the discharge cycle than alkaline. It's interesting that unlike the HR92, there is no battery type selection on the CS92A...

Comment

• kimber.kimber
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                    One would assume so, but I've never had a low battery warning from the hot water sensor before.

They usually start to get a bit "cranky" well before any low battery warning so I tend to change the batteries before any low battery warning when I see symptoms of intermittent performance.

I think next time I'll fit Lithium batteries as the CS92A seems to be quite sensitive to low battery voltage and a Lithium battery will keep a higher terminal voltage through much more of the discharge cycle than alkaline. It's interesting that unlike the HR92, there is no battery type selection on the CS92A...
                    Cheers for the heads up. waking up to a cold room I can deal with, but getting into a cold shower would not be on! I'll keep an eye, but on the basis that they are getting on for 2 years old, it's probably time!

Comment

Working...
                    X