Thread: KAT5 / FirM IR distribution

Automated Home Lurker

Default KAT5 / FirM IR distribution

I'm currently considering buying this http://tinyurl.com/7go42 LG lcd TV. One of its features is an IR in connection via a 3.5mm jack. I was planning on feeding it RGB via a kat5 pair.

My question is which direction does the IR transmission over kat5 operate? i.e is it in the same direction as the video or opposite? my requirement would be for it to be in the same direction as my entire system is contolled by girder via firm from node 0. On that note, should this be possible, can the output of a firm splitter box be fed directly into a kat5 box then from the receiving kat5 box directly into the TV or will some further widgetry be required?

Thanks

James

Default Re: KAT5 / FirM IR distribution

Hi James

Quote Originally Posted by ceejm1
    My question is which direction does the IR transmission over kat5 operate? i.e is it in the same direction as the video or opposite?
    Opposite direction as it is intened to control the source equipment from the viewing room.

eg

SKY Receiver >>>AV>>>>> TV
    SKY REceiver <<<IR<<<<< TV

On that note, should this be possible, can the output of a firm splitter box be fed directly into a kat5 box then from the receiving kat5 box directly into the TV or will some further widgetry be required?
    No because you still want to go the wrong way. However, FirM is a complete CAT5 based IR distribution system so by using a second CAT5 cable you can feed IR to the viewing room. I will alert Frank to this posting so that he can add more info.

When I originally designed the IR capabilities I didnt think that anyone would want to send IR the "wrong" way but possibly because HomeAutomators are continually "pushing the boundaries", several people have asked about being able to do this.

Reverse IR may be possible in the future.

Regards

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Automated Home Guru FrankMcAlinden's Avatar

Default Re: KAT5 / FirM IR distribution

Hi James / Keith

Sorry about the delay , been away for a few days....

can the output of a firm splitter box be fed directly into a kat5 box then from the receiving kat5 box directly into the TV or will some further widgetry be required?

If the ir in on the TV is connected to an internal ir led then you could connect to a splitter ,assuming you have a FirM Rx unit in that area ???....
    If its going to some internal electronics then i would be a bit wary , since FirM IR OUT is 12v based........

HTH
    Frank
    Home of FirM - the Multi Zone IR Transport System
    http://www.armaghelectrical.com.au/index.html