Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raspberry Pi OpenTherm Weather compensation project

Automated Home Legend

And that even has an input for an outside temperature sensor

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    And that even has an input for an outside temperature sensor
    If it's for a wired sensor it doesn't help me much - there is no good location to mount a wired sensor within reasonable cable reach of my boiler to get a proper outdoor measurement, (just sticking a sensor on the side of a brick wall is influenced massively by the heat from the house) and I don't particularly want to drill holes in the wall for it either.

The wireless sensor on my weather station is perfect and that's one part of the project that's already in the bag so to speak. The Opentherm side of the design is by far the most challenging - and I'm not sure whether any of the opentherm projects I've seen are capable of being a full slave implementation by themselves rather than just being a pass-through bridge that alters communications slightly on the way to a real Opentherm slave. (boiler) I haven't had time since my previous posts to look into this further yet.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 29th April 2019 at 12:04 PM.

Automated Home Legend

You could reconfigure the wired temperature input to something else. Any way, the OT gateway can also run in stand alone mode. See http://otgw.tclcode.com/standalone.html#operation

Automated Home Jr Member

I can see why it would be nice to use data from a weather station if you already have one but just to comment that I use the Open Weather Map as an online source for our local temperature etc.

A Raspberry Pi running ebusd and pyowm controls the target water temperature of our Vaillant boiler (which is not Opentherm of course but Vaillant Ebus).

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jackthom View Post
    I can see why it would be nice to use data from a weather station if you already have one but just to comment that I use the Open Weather Map as an online source for our local temperature etc.

A Raspberry Pi running ebusd and pyowm controls the target water temperature of our Vaillant boiler (which is not Opentherm of course but Vaillant Ebus).
    I could easily use an online weather service using pywapi - I already use this in my evohome-munin graphs to get the local forecast temperature, and it's literally about 5 lines of python, however there are a few reasons I'd prefer to use an actual outdoor measurement:

1) The forecast temperature doesn't update very frequently and tends to lag behind so whenever the temperature is rapidly rising or falling it can be several degrees behind the true conditions. I've seen descrepancies approaching 6 degrees.

2) There are times when the forecast temperature is a long way out even when when not rising or falling - not really sure whether it's due to a microclimate effect or whether the forecast is extrapolated from a far away weather station. I'm in Motherwell and many weather services even when told Motherwell just end up either giving me the same results as the Glasgow forecast or some extraplation of it. Glasgow might only be about 10 miles away but the weather and temperature is very frequently quite different!

3) I wanted to design the system to not rely on an internet connection in any way. That even includes functioning correctly with an incorrectly set system time. (Since there is no realtime clock in a Pi, so no internet connection means booting in 1970....) Believe it or not its actually much more difficult in my house to get a reliable WiFi signal to the boiler cupboard (which is in the kitchen back porch out of Wifi range) than receive the outdoor temperature sensor in the boiler cupboard. And both require a USB device plugged into the Pi anyway.

4) I just like the idea of using an accurate, fast responding weather station sensor that I already have to do this job. If I do end up getting an internet connection to the Pi somehow I can always write in the online weather report as an automatic fallback should something go wrong with the weather station, although it's not really necessary as I look at the weather station receiver every day and would soon notice if it had died. (And the code would just implement a manual fallback flow temperature if it lost comms with the sensor for more than 30 minutes)
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 25th May 2019 at 11:51 AM.