• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • klm346
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2018

Radiator coming on outside its schedule

Although my bedroom radiator comes on as per its own schedule, it also comes on when it isn't meant to but some of my other radiators are scheduled to come on.

I started noticing this happening about a month ago, as I saw the temperature on the evohome controller going up for the bedroom when I knew that it wasn't scheduled to be on.

If I look on the bedroom HR92 when this happens it shows that the target temperature is 5 degrees, but you can feel the hot water coming through the pipe.

The only way I can get the radiator to go off when this happens is to take the Radiator Controller off and turning the black wheel further round. Usually this works, and the radiator then comes on as normal at it next scheduled time. However, on a few occasions it seems I've 'turned it too far' and then it doesn't come on when it is next scheduled too.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything I can do to fix it, or is it just a faulty radiator controller that needs returning. I only bought the system in December 2018, so it should be under warranty?
    Last edited by klm346; 28 April 2019, 07:11 PM.
  • basiluk
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Oct 2008

More likely to be a valve issue. Are you sure that the HR92 is seated correctly? (it takes a bit of force on same valves esp. those using the adapter).

Also carefully read the manual nd try the stroke setting it can be adjusted to be more forceful (Full instead of normal).

Also try swapping a none working HR92 with this one, if the problem stays then you have an adapter/valve issue, if it moves you have an HR92 issue.

Comment

• G4RHL
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jan 2015

As mentioned by basiluk, it is worth checking the HR92 is seated properly on the valve. I had a not dissimilar issue when I first installed Evohome with one radiator but fortunately I quickly identified it as the HR92 fitting. I have two radiators with Dayton valves and they need the adaptor. The adaptor is not particularly strong and it is easy to over tighten it or have it cross threaded.

Incidentally, one of my two radiators with Dayton valves last year started shooting off the HR92. Possibly the valve pin was stiffening up and it was becoming hard work for the HR92 but it did seem to move freely. I bought a new adaptor and since then no problem. I think a metal adaptor would be much better than the plastic one supplied with the HR92.

Comment

• klm346
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Dec 2018

Thanks both. I've taken the adaptor off & the valve was looking a little rusty with a small amount of water coming from the bottom of the valve. I've compared it to some of the other valves, including one I had to get replaced as part of the installation, and I think I probably need to get the valve replaced. Do you agree?

Comment

• G4RHL
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by klm346 View Post
          Thanks both. I've taken the adaptor off & the valve was looking a little rusty with a small amount of water coming from the bottom of the valve. I've compared it to some of the other valves, including one I had to get replaced as part of the installation, and I think I probably need to get the valve replaced. Do you agree?
          It’s a yes from me. As another member of the forum elsewhere has highlighted, the HR92s are not water friendly. May be worth checking all the valves.

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

If the valve body is leaking get it replaced pronto before the leak gets bad enough to damage the HR92. If the pin has gone rusty it will be starting to seize, which would explain the valve not closing properly.

Comment

• klm346
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Dec 2018

Thanks both. I'll check all the valves, and get any that are leaking replaced before the water damages the HR92's.

By coincidence I already have a plumber coming to fix something else this afternoon, so I'll book him in to change the necessary valves.

Comment

Working...
              X