Thread: Help planning out house wide UFH?

Automated Home Sr Member

Default Help planning out house wide UFH?

As title states, family home is being renovated with UFH throughout, but we are scratching our head what route to go down in terms of planning it out. We will be using the Evohome kit, with individual rooms controlled. We would like to keep it 8 'controlled' zones, due to that being the maximum number Evohome can control off one UFH control unit - we dont mind the likes of hallways being left 'always on'

Bedrooms, kitchens, lounge etc is obvious to control individually, but what is the ''done'' thing for hallways, bathrooms, utility rooms etc?

Due to it being an older property we are using heat spreader plates with kingspan & rockwool underneath throughout. Engineered wood thoughout downstairs, carpets upstairs with tiles in bathrooms. This will be in the Peak District, so a cold climate and semi-well (retrofitted) insulated house.

Manifold will be mounted 'behind' the open front door, in the downstairs hallway, opposite the cellar door (ignore the ''porch'' area outside the front door, now deleted)

Any advice form those who have UFH systems thoughout?

Many thanks!
    Last edited by Andehh; 10th July 2016 at 09:58 AM.

Have you thought about going a different route, and using something like thermaskirt.
    Looking at your plans, If it where me I would zone like this,
    1. Kitchen and Dining room
    2. Lounge and hall.
    3.Utility and toilet.
    4 to 7 Bedrooms
    8.Bathroom, Shower room and Hall/landing.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by toscal View Post
    Have you thought about going a different route, and using something like thermaskirt.
    Looking at your plans, If it where me I would zone like this,
    1. Kitchen and Dining room
    2. Lounge and hall.
    3.Utility and toilet.
    4 to 7 Bedrooms
    8.Bathroom, Shower room and Hall/landing.
    Have you installed Thermaskirt.... looks interesting but about the same price as UFH?

No, but have been thinking about it.
    It was rejected by Dragons Den, but has managed to get backing from other sources. And it is apparently doing very well.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Legend

Did any of you instal skirting radiators?

Was going to install the electrical version in an apartment but once I worked out the zoning and then costings I decided Air con units where cheaper and they will provide the heat in the winter.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Will the supplier of your UFH system not do the design as well?
    There used to be (years ago) at least one "independent" company that offered a design, or design+parts service. I think it was "Conservation Engineering" but couldn't find a live website for them now.

We have wet UFH on the ground floor in a liquid screed over solid floor, and radiators upstairs. 4 large zones downstairs - 3 of the zones use 2 manifold slots each. The hall and WC are on the same zone, and the kitchen+utility, however the kitchen Aga means the kitchen zone never comes on...
    Engineered wood, limestone flags, slate, and a bit of carpet downstairs, then all carpet upstairs except for full-tiled bathrooms.
    I would guard against "always on" as it can get very hot.
    Upstairs are all radiators with TRVs, except for the landing where we have nothing. Heat from downstairs is more than adequate. We fitted standalone electric UFH in the two bathrooms (Devi-Heat) but haven't turned it on in 7 years - heating from the rest of the house is sufficient.

Our manifold is in a thin cupboard under the stairs and they are best placed (I think) in the middle of the zones, so as to avoid too much snaking of UFH pipes to get them to their zone.
    Is your front door opening into the kitchen, or "near" the utility?
    Where is your boiler going?
    There's a bit more noise from the pump on the UFH manifold than I was expecting, and our boiler, although quiet, is not silent. Think carefully where your will be sited to avoid noise (and/or vibration) spilling into bedrooms. Pipes themselves, of course, are silent in our experience.
    Are you having one manifold upstairs and one downstairs? if not how/where will you route the UFH zone pipes from d/s to u/s?

Good luck!