Thread: Simple question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Automated Home Lurker

Default Simple question

Hi guys. I have just moved house and am experimenting with making my WiFi more usable. I have a virgin router in modem mode and a decent Netgear nighthawk supplying main WiFi.

I need to add an access point as it’s quite a solid house and not getting WiFi upstairss in some places. Do I need to add a specific brand? I have cat 5 laid to several locations so I can use a wired access point right? How do I make sure it’s all one continuous network?

Finally is there any issue using an old Apple AirPort Extreme I have and plug it into my router to create a privately network for some smart home stuff eg ring so it’s not competing for bandwidth?
    With thanks!

In a word you need a WDS system (Wireless distribution system). I installed a CAT6 based network for a local Steve Jobs school and the guys from Apple then came and installed the wireless system using WDS. So basically it was one giant wifi network, all with the same name and password. They installed 6 wifi access points, each one connected to the main router.
    The only thing is that you will reduce the overall bandwidth of the system.
    A quick Google will give youmore information.
    Another option is the leaky cable system, think of a hose pipe with lots of pin pricks in it.
    Last edited by toscal; 2nd June 2019 at 11:58 AM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Lurker

I can recommend unifi from ubiquiti, the Access points are fairly cheap and you can normally pick them up on eBay cheap. They are Poe so power goes down the Ethernet cable. Think of them as Ethernet to wifi adapters. You can have as many as you want on your network. I have one upstairs, one downstairs and an outdoor version in the garden.

If you have a spare raspberry pi you can install the unifi controller, this lets you run "zero handoff" which is brilliant, if you are upstairs connected to AP1, then walk out into the garden you will be handed over to the outdoor AP. No need to change SSID or anything. Think of it as a big mesh network