Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Haunted EvoHome

Automated Home Jr Member Freeco's Avatar

correct, during the night and when we're off to work the temperature is reduced to 16C (as shown on the picture, actually )

Automated Home Legend

Then what you are experiencing is the infamous "Phantom override", where the set point can get reverted to the previous one in the schedule a few minutes after a set point change.

Search the forum for threads pertaining to Phantom override...
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 19th May 2019 at 06:01 PM.

Automated Home Jr Member

There’s a lot of it about....

I hope they can do something in a firmware update to help with this problem. Doesn’t seem to be a rare occurrence and if it happens in the other direction (I.e. going from on to off and phantom turning on again for several zones) it racks up a fair cost pretty quickly in wasted fuel.

I’m surprised such a ‘mature’ product can have such an invasive bug.

tnx DBMandrake, I indeed found quite a few quite similar complaints by searching for 'phantom override'.
    So if I understand well, I should just disconnect the batteries of all HR92's in a zone, and reseat them at random?
    I suppose that'll only be a temporary fix though, so I do hope Rameses can take this up with a dev at Honeywell

Btw, my living room zone has 4 HR92's and the bathroom zone has 2. The other 2 zones have only 1 HR92 + 1 Round Wireless. Maybe that's why these 2 were unaffected...

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Freeco View Post
    Btw, my living room zone has 4 HR92's and the bathroom zone has 2. The other 2 zones have only 1 HR92 + 1 Round Wireless. Maybe that's why these 2 were unaffected...
    Since the hourly check-in time goes from when the batteries were inserted in the HR92, and any HR92 in the zone could trigger a phantom override and the controller then propagates it to the others, it stands to reason that the more HR92's you have in a single zone, the more likely you are to run into this problem, statistically speaking. (Although I only have a single HR92 per zone and I have had it happen in at least two of my zones)

Removing and reinserting the batteries in all the HR92's in the affected zone at a "random" time of the hour that doesn't coincide with regular set points seems to work fairly well.

For example if your set points generally occur on the hour or on the half hour, avoid inserting the batteries within a few minutes of on the hour and on the half hour.

I wish they would fix the problem too, but due to the legacy design of the comms protocol there isn't a straightforward fix. Any "fix" is going to be a clever workaround at best, because the controller can't truly tell the difference between the HR92's hourly set point "check in" and a user initiated set point override made at the HR92 - the same message is sent over the air so the controller would have to try to deduce which changes were and weren't human initiated.

I made another quick call with that Honeywell rep I mentioned in my OT.
    He doesn't believe in these phantom overrides. He thinks it's more likely the console picked up RF signals which it misinterpreted as commands coming from an HR92.
    It could also be a glitch caused by updates of the console (which he claims happen regularly, but not publicly communicated). It might get confused during/after updating and cause these kind of issues.
    Also, to avoid it's a problem coming over the console's internet connection (hacker, whatever), he suggests to disable the wifi for a while (as we don't use the app to often anyway).
    And if it would happen too frequently, we should just contact our plumber and ask for a replacement. It's always possible it's due to a HW fault.

Whoever's right, who will tell
    I'll start with the battery trick, and will also do a reset of my passw. Probably I'll also cut it's internet access for a while. We'll see from there.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Freeco View Post
    I made another quick call with that Honeywell rep I mentioned in my OT.
    He doesn't believe in these phantom overrides. He thinks it's more likely the console picked up RF signals which it misinterpreted as commands coming from an HR92.
    If the system is that vulnerable to "RF signals" or interference in such a way that it would cause an override, then the over the air comms is pretty shoddy and would lack even a CRC.

Fortunately that's not true and while the RF comms on Evohome leaves something to be desired I've not heard of interfering or random signals triggering actions - only causing the absence of expected actions.

Funny that those "RF signals" caused it to revert back to the exact same temperature as the previous set point. What were the chances of that....
    It could also be a glitch caused by updates of the console (which he claims happen regularly, but not publicly communicated). It might get confused during/after updating and cause these kind of issues.
    Hah, that's funny! Regular updates. As far as we're aware, there have only been a handful of updates in the last 3 years... I think I've had 3 or 4 at most in a 3 year period and only one actual gave new user facing features.

There is a hidden version number that most of us know how to check - I check mine from time to time and have not seen any updates for quite a while now.
    Also, to avoid it's a problem coming over the console's internet connection (hacker, whatever), he suggests to disable the wifi for a while (as we don't use the app to often anyway).
    From our understanding of the architecture used, the only way this would happen would be if your TCC account was compromised, in which case you should be changing your TCC password not turning off Wifi!
    And if it would happen too frequently, we should just contact our plumber and ask for a replacement. It's always possible it's due to a HW fault.
    Nah... Not a hardware fault.
    Whoever's right, who will tell
    I'll start with the battery trick, and will also do a reset of my passw. Probably I'll also cut it's internet access for a while. We'll see from there.
    Unfortunately I think your source is just misinformed.

The reason we know about the underlying cause of the phantom override issue (the hourly set point broadcasts from HR92's) is because a forum member reported back a conversation they had with honeywell tech support who went into an unusual amount of detail about the underlying cause which fit the symptoms like a glove. The thread is buried on this forum somewhere if you can find it.

It's a fairly obscure and hard to explain problem so I wouldn't expect every honeywell person to be aware of it or be able to explain it....
    Last edited by DBMandrake; Yesterday at 04:32 PM.