X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Freeco
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2018

I made another quick call with that Honeywell rep I mentioned in my OT.
    He doesn't believe in these phantom overrides. He thinks it's more likely the console picked up RF signals which it misinterpreted as commands coming from an HR92.
    It could also be a glitch caused by updates of the console (which he claims happen regularly, but not publicly communicated). It might get confused during/after updating and cause these kind of issues.
    Also, to avoid it's a problem coming over the console's internet connection (hacker, whatever), he suggests to disable the wifi for a while (as we don't use the app to often anyway).
    And if it would happen too frequently, we should just contact our plumber and ask for a replacement. It's always possible it's due to a HW fault.

Whoever's right, who will tell
    I'll start with the battery trick, and will also do a reset of my passw. Probably I'll also cut it's internet access for a while. We'll see from there.

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Freeco View Post
      I made another quick call with that Honeywell rep I mentioned in my OT.
      He doesn't believe in these phantom overrides. He thinks it's more likely the console picked up RF signals which it misinterpreted as commands coming from an HR92.
      If the system is that vulnerable to "RF signals" or interference in such a way that it would cause an override, then the over the air comms is pretty shoddy and would lack even a CRC.

Fortunately that's not true and while the RF comms on Evohome leaves something to be desired I've not heard of interfering or random signals triggering actions - only causing the absence of expected actions.

Funny that those "RF signals" caused it to revert back to the exact same temperature as the previous set point. What were the chances of that....
      It could also be a glitch caused by updates of the console (which he claims happen regularly, but not publicly communicated). It might get confused during/after updating and cause these kind of issues.
      Hah, that's funny! Regular updates. As far as we're aware, there have only been a handful of updates in the last 3 years... I think I've had 3 or 4 at most in a 3 year period and only one actual gave new user facing features.

There is a hidden version number that most of us know how to check - I check mine from time to time and have not seen any updates for quite a while now.
      Also, to avoid it's a problem coming over the console's internet connection (hacker, whatever), he suggests to disable the wifi for a while (as we don't use the app to often anyway).
      From our understanding of the architecture used, the only way this would happen would be if your TCC account was compromised, in which case you should be changing your TCC password not turning off Wifi!
      And if it would happen too frequently, we should just contact our plumber and ask for a replacement. It's always possible it's due to a HW fault.
      Nah... Not a hardware fault.
      Whoever's right, who will tell
      I'll start with the battery trick, and will also do a reset of my passw. Probably I'll also cut it's internet access for a while. We'll see from there.
      Unfortunately I think your source is just misinformed.

The reason we know about the underlying cause of the phantom override issue (the hourly set point broadcasts from HR92's) is because a forum member reported back a conversation they had with honeywell tech support who went into an unusual amount of detail about the underlying cause which fit the symptoms like a glove. The thread is buried on this forum somewhere if you can find it.

It's a fairly obscure and hard to explain problem so I wouldn't expect every honeywell person to be aware of it or be able to explain it....
      Last edited by DBMandrake; 20 May 2019, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• dty
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Aug 2016

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
        If the system is that vulnerable to "RF signals" or interference in such a way that it would cause an override, then the over the air comms is pretty shoddy and would lack even a CRC.

Fortunately that's not true and while the RF comms on Evohome leaves something to be desired I've not heard of interfering or random signals triggering actions - only causing the absence of expected actions.
        LOLz!

Given there are a bunch of us who understand the radio protocol at the physical level - i.e. the actual radio setup, the encoding of the digital signal onto the radio signal, the syntax of the data within the digital signal and then the semantics of those messages, and given that even knowing all of this we sometimes have difficulty intentionally receiving known radio transmissions, I'd say the chances of it not only receiving a random signal, but it being correctly encoded, correctly formatted, and meaningful are precisely 0.0000000000000000000000% +/- 0%.

Comment

Working...
        X