Thread: Force evohome to run boiler for testing

Automated Home Guru

Default Force evohome to run boiler for testing

We're having work done on our CH system which requires the boiler to be on... The plumber wants to simply be able to turn the boiler on but if we take all the heads off it stops.

There must be an override somehow?

Automated Home Guru

Just press the button on the BDR91!

Automated Home Ninja

Turn the thermostat up

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgare View Post
    Just press the button on the BDR91!
    Ah, great. I'd thought that was only used for binding but you're right, tapping toggles the relay on/off (until the system overrides it)

Quote Originally Posted by dty View Post
    Turn the thermostat up
    There isn't a thermostat. I have 12 individual zones. None of which is in the same room as the boiler...

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by MrBoy View Post
    Ah, great. I'd thought that was only used for binding but you're right, tapping toggles the relay on/off (until the system overrides it)
    The problem with this approach is it will only turn the boiler on for a short while until the controller turns it off again.

There isn't a thermostat. I have 12 individual zones. None of which is in the same room as the boiler...
    So... you have 12 thermostats then! You know, the HR92s? Turn one of them up to 30C and the boiler will come on (assuming it's not already 30C in the room!)

Automated Home Guru

Here's what the plumber wants to do: be able to turn the boiler on/off. On a traditional system that's all he does.
    Here's what you want him to do: walk into a different room. Twist the head of a HR92 up or down. Wait a minute for it to send this to the controller unit which only polls the HR92 units every 1-2minutes (from memory). Wait for the servo to open/close.

He also wants to ensure every radiator is on to circulate the whole system. We can change every zone to do this but then he's waiting several minutes and getting peed off. Or he goes round taking off all the HR92s so all valves are wide open. But now there are no active HR92 units to actually command heating because (as far as I can tell) when the head is not attached, it knows this and stops requesting heat. He did this and we were both confused for a bit!
    Our best option so far is to remove all heads except one, and turn that up to 30. But even so he then has to keep running to the HR92 and I can tell he just wants to be able to turn it on/off

I suppose another option is to turn off/disconnect the WiFi controller unit, remove all the heads, and then press the button on the BDR91... now it won't be fighting the controller and he has a nice 'dumb' system that isn't turning itself on and off.

One nice feature of the HR92 is that you can easily manually open/close when the head is removed - this is handy as long as you can force the boiler to run.

Automated Home Ninja

Here's what the plumber wants to do: be able to turn the boiler on/off. On a traditional system that's all he does.
    And how does he do this on a traditional system? You have to make sure the timer in on, and you have to turn the thermostat up.

Here's what you want him to do: walk into a different room. Twist the head of a HR92 up or down.
    I don't want him to do anything. You do. I just tried to provide a potential solution. You're welcome.

Wait a minute for it to send this to the controller unit which only polls the HR92 units every 1-2minutes (from memory). Wait for the servo to open/close.
    When you override the temperature on the HR92 it sends the override "immediately". (It actually waits a few seconds to make sure you don't change it again.)

He also wants to ensure every radiator is on to circulate the whole system. We can change every zone to do this but then he's waiting several minutes and getting peed off. Or he goes round taking off all the HR92s so all valves are wide open. But now there are no active HR92 units to actually command heating because (as far as I can tell) when the head is not attached, it knows this and stops requesting heat. He did this and we were both confused for a bit!
    It sounds to me like you need to get a less grumpy plumber. Talk about being a jobsworth!

Our best option so far is to remove all heads except one, and turn that up to 30. But even so he then has to keep running to the HR92 and I can tell he just wants to be able to turn it on/off
    Maybe you could turn it on and off for him to save him the trauma of having to walk around the house? Make sure he pays you labourer's rates.

I suppose another option is to turn off/disconnect the WiFi controller unit, remove all the heads, and then press the button on the BDR91... now it won't be fighting the controller and he has a nice 'dumb' system that isn't turning itself on and off.
    I'm not certain if that will work or not. The BDR has a failsafe mode if it doesn't hear from the controller for a while, so you may find it just shuts down to prevent system runaway.

Automated Home Legend

When my service man wants the boiler on I just switch on hot water in the app. If all radiators are wanted on it is an easy thing to push up the temperatures to maximum in the app for each. With boiler running if he then wants it off he can turn off the power to it leaving the HR92s set for testing next time the boiler is fired up. It follows that one needs to turn the temperature down when all is done! As has been said, it sounds like a lazy plumber, or a confused one.

Automated Home Legend top brake's Avatar

We're having work done on our CH system which requires the boiler to be on... The plumber wants to simply be able to turn the boiler on but if we take all the heads off it stops.

There must be an override somehow?
    most boilers have 'chimney sweep mode' to achieve this, or just set a temporary overide on the evohome zones 3deg above current temperature
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.