Thread: combi or normal. HELP

Automated Home Lurker

Default combi or normal. HELP

We have a 3bed, 2 bathroom dormer house with 3ft thick granite walls. The ch is oil with an outside boiler. We need to change the boiler as the one we have isn't powerful enough now as we added a bedroom & bathroom and will be adding a conservatory.
    Should we go for a combi or stick with the type we have at the moment. The most I can find for outside combi is 90000btu and costs about £1500.

Default Re: combi or normal. HELP

How do you heat your hot water. A combi boiler will do both your hot watrer and heating. Have you tried looking here www.thermsaver.co.uk they do all sorts of Oil boilers for outside and inside.

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks, I will look at that website. I've looked in discountheating. Our CH & HW are through the normal way with a hot water tank. We had to put in an additional coffin type water tank when we put in the power shower but that doesn't work very well as the pump goes off as you try to put cold water mixed with the hot!! :roll:

Automated Home Jr Member

If you have a power- shower, then you should definately go with a normal boiler, not a combi.

Combi boilers cannot provide the throughput of hot water for a power shower and it may actually damage the boiler

Automated Home Lurker

I don't think the power shower is very powerful. I've been told that the pressure on our mains water is about 1 bar and we had to put a pump on for the shower. The only time you can get a decent temp with the shower is in the summer when the heating is on very low (yes the CH has to be on so that we can get HW but then we do live in the Scottish highlands).
    If we get a combi boiler then we would have to do away with the pump, I assume. So would this still affect the boiler if we use the shower?