• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Technomorph
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Aug 2017

Evohome and OpenTherm Compatibility with Glow Worm Boiler

The following was posted in another thread but I suspect may have been lost in the noise.

I am considering buying the OT bridge for my Evohome system, however I need assistance in determining if my boiler will be a goer. I have a Glow Worm Flexicom 30 SX. The following states that the boiler is unofficially compatible when using the correct VR33 module:

What is OpenTherm? Boilers Boilers – Unofficial Controls OpenTherm Boilers and Controls Shown below are a list of OpenTherm capable / compatible manufacturers and boilers. These OpenTherm Boi…

Further reading from the below article suggests that the compatible module will be a AWB OPENTHERM MODULE 0020036768.

Vaillant boilers and OpenTherm Vaillant does not support OpenTherm directly out of the box in the UK. In a few european countries, such as the Netherlands, OpenTherm is highly prevalent and used, s…

Can anyone confirm either way from the below images of the boiler's PCB if the module is definitely compatible?

20190616_182808.jpg

20190616_182914.jpg

20190616_182816.jpg
  • DanD
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Feb 2016

Hi,

I have the Glow Worm Ultracom2 30SXI and I decided to try to upgrade to Opentherm based upon the fact that it appears to be an identical boiler to the AWB ThermoElegance 4 and the AWB 0020036768 Opentherm module is designed for the ThermoElegance 3 and 4 range of boilers. I'd seen the information on the myboiler.com site and this had triggered my interest so I took a look at the manuals for the AWB boilers and the Opentherm module. I purchased the AWB Opentherm module and it turned out to be a very simple job to install the card as all I needed to do was remove the plastic mounting frame that came attached to it as the card slid perfectly in a dedicated vertical slot for the card within 24V the controls section! The connections were simple; one plug pushes onto the X40 contacts on the control board and then the 24V connection is made to your Opentherm controller (I'm using the Evohome OT Bridge). Although your Flexicom boiler doesn't resemble either of the AWB ThermoElegance models, it does look like you have the necessary X40 port on your control board. I don't have any pictures of my installation, but I do recall that I had to remember to add the RT link (the 24V one I think) to get the system to work. Oh, and it's all working perfectly!

Here's the installation manual for the AWB Opentherm module (yes, just 1 page ):
    AWB 0020036768 - 3.jpg

Hope this helps.

Dan
    Last edited by DanD; 17 June 2019, 09:11 PM. Reason: Added attachment

Comment

• Technomorph
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Aug 2017

Originally posted by DanD View Post
      Hi,

I have the Glow Worm Ultracom2 30SXI and I decided to try to upgrade to Opentherm based upon the fact that it appears to be an identical boiler to the AWB ThermoElegance 4 and the AWB 0020036768 Opentherm module is designed for the ThermoElegance 3 and 4 range of boilers. I'd seen the information on the myboiler.com site and this had triggered my interest so I took a look at the manuals for the AWB boilers and the Opentherm module. I purchased the AWB Opentherm module and it turned out to be a very simple job to install the card as all I needed to do was remove the plastic mounting frame that came attached to it as the card slid perfectly in a dedicated vertical slot for the card within 24V the controls section! The connections were simple; one plug pushes onto the X40 contacts on the control board and then the 24V connection is made to your Opentherm controller (I'm using the Evohome OT Bridge). Although your Flexicom boiler doesn't resemble either of the AWB ThermoElegance models, it does look like you have the necessary X40 port on your control board. I don't have any pictures of my installation, but I do recall that I had to remember to add the RT link (the 24V one I think) to get the system to work. Oh, and it's all working perfectly!

Here's the installation manual for the AWB Opentherm module (yes, just 1 page ):
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]1428[/ATTACH]

Hope this helps.

Dan
      Many thanks Dan. Very useful.

I tried to look for an equivalent AWB boiler but it seems the Thermo Elegance is the only system boiler they produce, no versions of which seem to resemble my Flexicom. Unless anyone else can definitively confirm either way, I'm going to leave this for the time being as the refund policy for the VR33 module doesn't allow for it to be returned.

TM

Comment

• hallra
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Nov 2019

Hello Dan,

I also have a Glowworm Ultracom but it is a Ultracom 24hxi.

I’m interested in adding the Opentherm module like you have done.

If I take pictures of my boiler’s PCB, could you compare them with yours to see if they match?

Thanks

Richard

Comment

• DanD
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Feb 2016

Hi Richard,

I've had a quick search and found a few pictures of the card from your boiler and it's not the same as the one in my Ultracom2. The pictures I found look almost identical to the card in the first post in this thread which does have the x40 port (2nd from bottom on left side). I think you'd just have to try a AWB card with your boiler to see if it works as expected.

Dan

Comment

• hallra
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Nov 2019

Hi Dan,

Thanks for replying to me, sorry it has taken me time to reply, I’m not very well, sometimes my health gets in the way of things.

Anyway, the PCB board for my boiler is Honeywell part no: 0020023825, a picture of it can be found here:

Buy the Glowworm 0020023825 Pcb - Main (Bmu) from Direct Heating Spares. DHS Part Number: 1339653 - Manufacturer Code:20023825. We have over 20,000 items in stock and available Next Day. Free Boiler Manuals also available to download.

Is there a way to determine if it is compatible before purchasing it and plugging it in?
            - under the link above, the ‘this part this fits’ tab lists all the Glow-worm boilers the PCB is for, which doesn’t include yours..
            - Perhaps the supplier of the Opentherm card is able to confirm?

Any other way you can think of determining compatibility?

Comment

• DanD
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Feb 2016

Hi,

Unfortunately I think you're unlikely to find any information which clearly indicates compatibility and Glow Worm don't officially support Opentherm. Even with my Ultracom2 I had to just rely on the info on the Myboiler site combined with a Google of the manual & innards of the AWB Thermoelegance models which gave me confidence that they were identical boilers and it was worth a try.

Dan

Comment

Working...
              X