Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot water not coming on when requested

Automated Home Ninja

I can't be certain from your description, but it sounds to me like you have 1 BDR controlling the hot water valve to allow hot water into the hot water cylinder, and 1 BDR controlling the central heating valve to let hot water into the radiators. The valves control the boiler via the orange wires. Unless you have a BDR directly connected to your boiler (which is an option, but most people don't have), then don't tell Evohome to control your boiler - let the switched lives (orange wires) from the valves do that.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Exactly what @dty has said. This seems to be a really common error when installing Evohome with S-Plan systems. Even my "professional" installer did this.

P.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by dty View Post
    I can't be certain from your description, but it sounds to me like you have 1 BDR controlling the hot water valve to allow hot water into the hot water cylinder, and 1 BDR controlling the central heating valve to let hot water into the radiators. The valves control the boiler via the orange wires. Unless you have a BDR directly connected to your boiler (which is an option, but most people don't have), then don't tell Evohome to control your boiler - let the switched lives (orange wires) from the valves do that.
    Thanks dty, Yes that is how my system is set up, 1 BDR for the hot water and one BDR for the heating with a hot water cs92 connected to the hot water tank. I will try setting it up again without the boiler part selected. Thanks for your help
    Will

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Exactly what @dty has said. This seems to be a really common error when installing Evohome with S-Plan systems. Even my "professional" installer did this.

P.
    Thanks Paul, I will try what dty said and see how we go
    Will

Automated Home Sr Member

Hi all, thought I had sussed it. Got no fault reported on the controller and heating and water was working as it should, or so I thought. The hot water is set to come on at 5pm and Ive just gone in to the garage and both the BDR's are lit again :-( :-( I skipped the boiler part when setting up the water but then went in to the settings again and selected boiler control. Selected the wireless box option and bonded it to the controller. I am going to set it up again and leave this option as none but I suspect by not selecting this then the heating will not work at all. Pooh Pooh and more Pooh :-( :-(

Automated Home Legend

If you only have a hot water relay and a heating relay you should NOT select a boiler control relay or bind it.

You will need to clear the bindings on the relays (15 second press of the button until it blips rapidly) and set boiler control and stored hot water to none and start again by going into stored hot water configuration.

Resist the temptation to bind a boiler control relay, and under no circumstances attempt to bind the same relay to two different fuctions - this WILL cause you problems.

The only time you have a boiler control relay is if you have a combi system with no hot water control (just one relay to turn the boiler on and no two or three port valves) or you have a THREE relay system like mine where I have a hot water zone valve relay, a heating zone valve relay and a separate boiler control relay that goes directly to the boiler. (Boiler not fired by the switches on the zone valves)

Attempting to bind a relay to boiler control when you shouldn't is the number one mistake that people make when configuring Evohome.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 12th July 2019 at 12:17 AM.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    If you only have a hot water relay and a heating relay you should NOT select a boiler control relay or bind it.

You will need to clear the bindings on the relays (15 second press of the button until it blips rapidly) and set boiler control and stored hot water to none and start again by going into stored hot water configuration.

Resist the temptation to bind a boiler control relay, and under no circumstances attempt to bind the same relay to two different fuctions - this WILL cause you problems.

The only time you have a boiler control relay is if you have a combi system with no hot water control (just one relay to turn the boiler on and no two or three port valves) or you have a THREE relay system like mine where I have a hot water zone valve relay, a heating zone valve relay and a separate boiler control relay that goes directly to the boiler. (Boiler not fired by the switches on the zone valves)

Attempting to bind a relay to boiler control when you shouldn't is the number one mistake that people make when configuring Evohome.
    Thanks for that. I also have 3 zones but in my case it was zone 1 - heating downstairs, zone 2 - Heating upstairs and zone 3 - Hot water. It has been wired up now so it is just Heating and hot water. I did ignore the heating relay part when setting the water but if I do not select the boiler control to have a wireless BDR then surely I will not be able to get the heating to come on. I will give it a try later on and leave feedback here.
    Thanks again
    Will

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    That's not strictly true. Before I upgraded to OpenTherm, I had one BDR on my hot water cylinder, and one controlling my boiler. There is no central heating valve on my system, so the installer used the BDR that came with the hot water kit for the hot water valve, and the BDR that came with the controller for the boiler.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by dty View Post
    That's not strictly true. Before I upgraded to OpenTherm, I had one BDR on my hot water cylinder, and one controlling my boiler. There is no central heating valve on my system, so the installer used the BDR that came with the hot water kit for the hot water valve, and the BDR that came with the controller for the boiler.
    Thanks DBmandrake and dty, I tried to set it up with no boiler selected when setting up the water and in the boiler control selected none. As I suspected the controller sent a signal to the TRv's and they in turn started whirring to make a demand from the boiler but no signal was received at the boiler. Hot water was working but no heating. So after setting the water where it asks what sort of system I have I have now selected hot water only, bonded the controller to the BDR91 and then went in to selecting boiler control and selecting wireless relay. All seems to be working so far, no faults have been reported and the water comes on without the heating. Fingers crossed I have finally managed to sort it. Thanks all for your help in this problem I was having, much appreciated
    Will

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by willdonal View Post
    Thanks DBmandrake and dty, I tried to set it up with no boiler selected when setting up the water and in the boiler control selected none. As I suspected the controller sent a signal to the TRv's and they in turn started whirring to make a demand from the boiler but no signal was received at the boiler. Hot water was working but no heating. So after setting the water where it asks what sort of system I have I have now selected hot water only, bonded the controller to the BDR91 and then went in to selecting boiler control and selecting wireless relay. All seems to be working so far, no faults have been reported and the water comes on without the heating. Fingers crossed I have finally managed to sort it. Thanks all for your help in this problem I was having, much appreciated
    Will
    Sorry but you still have it configured wrong and still don't understand how it should be working.

Unless you have a BDR91 which is connected directly to the boiler, you do not bind a boiler control relay. I'm not sure how I can be any clearer on this.

It sounds to me like the orange wire from some of you zone valves is not wired to the boiler, so you need to fix that.

The way it should be wired is that the heating BDR91 should be wired to open both your upstairs and downstairs heating zone valves together (wired in parallel) since the HR92's do your zoning now and the hot water BDR91 should be wired to open your hot water zone valve.

From all three of the zone valves the orange wires should be wired in parallel to the control input of the boiler so that if any of the three zone valves opens the boiler will fire.

This is how an S-Plan system is configured in Evohome when you don't have a dedicated boiler control relay, which you don't.

When the wiring is correct from the zone valves to the boiler you should be able to press the button on either BDR91 to turn them on manually and both of them should result in the boiler firing up after about 15 seconds that it takes for the zone valve to open.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 12th July 2019 at 06:29 PM.