Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hot water not coming on when requested

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Sorry but you still have it configured wrong and still don't understand how it should be working.

Unless you have a BDR91 which is connected directly to the boiler, you do not bind a boiler control relay. I'm not sure how I can be any clearer on this.

It sounds to me like the orange wire from some of you zone valves is not wired to the boiler, so you need to fix that.

The way it should be wired is that the heating BDR91 should be wired to open both your upstairs and downstairs heating zone valves together (wired in parallel) since the HR92's do your zoning now and the hot water BDR91 should be wired to open your hot water zone valve.

From all three of the zone valves the orange wires should be wired in parallel to the control input of the boiler so that if any of the three zone valves opens the boiler will fire.

This is how an S-Plan system is configured in Evohome when you don't have a dedicated boiler control relay, which you don't.

When the wiring is correct from the zone valves to the boiler you should be able to press the button on either BDR91 to turn them on manually and both of them should result in the boiler firing up after about 15 seconds that it takes for the zone valve to open.
    Thanks mate. Not sure how it is wired up, but the way I have it now it seems to work. I have hot water when required and the heating comes on when requested. When I first got the system I specifically asked the electrician if they had installed this system before to which they replied yes. I had my suspicion when he turned up to do it and was scratching his head for most of the time he was here. Like I said above I have had an 'official' Honeywell installer look over and fix the initial problems so I can only assume it is wired correctly. Maybe its time to call the official guy back.
    Thanks for your info
    Will

Automated Home Sr Member

Sorry but you still have it configured wrong and still don't understand how it should be working.

Unless you have a BDR91 which is connected directly to the boiler, you do not bind a boiler control relay. I'm not sure how I can be any clearer on this.

It sounds to me like the orange wire from some of you zone valves is not wired to the boiler, so you need to fix that.

The way it should be wired is that the heating BDR91 should be wired to open both your upstairs and downstairs heating zone valves together (wired in parallel) since the HR92's do your zoning now and the hot water BDR91 should be wired to open your hot water zone valve.

From all three of the zone valves the orange wires should be wired in parallel to the control input of the boiler so that if any of the three zone valves opens the boiler will fire.

This is how an S-Plan system is configured in Evohome when you don't have a dedicated boiler control relay, which you don't.

When the wiring is correct from the zone valves to the boiler you should be able to press the button on either BDR91 to turn them on manually and both of them should result in the boiler firing up after about 15 seconds that it takes for the zone valve to open.
    Well I spoke to soon again. Hot water came on along with the heating. When you say you do not bond a boiler relay, I can’t get the heating to work without doing it. I can get the hot water to work without bonding it but not the heating. So with all that I can only assume that it is wired wrongly. Does that also mean I do not require a separate BDR for the heating? I am not an electrician so the wiring side is beyond me. Looks like I’ll have to get the £50 an hour official Honeywell installer, who lives 1 hour away to come and fix it, that’s going to be a minimum of £150 😩😩😩😩

Automated Home Sr Member

Hello DBMandrake, Can we just go back to basics please. I set up my hot water first and part of the process is the controller asks you what sort of system you have. I have tried both options, eg 2 or 3 valve and hot water only. Which one do I select? If I select hot water only I bond the hot water BDR to the controller and that's it. Hot water works fine but I have no control over the heating. I have gone down the road of not selecting the boiler control on the setup and selected none in the boiler control but as said previous the heating will not come on. I will get some pictures later on how the system is wired up, maybe that will shed some light on the problem. Thanks for your expertise
    Will

Automated Home Sr Member

Here are the pictures. The first one shows the CS92 connected to the hot water cylinder, the second is the heating BDR, the third is the Hot water BDR and the last one is where the wires all go in to the boiler wiring. Hot water Tank sensor.jpgHeating BDR.jpgHot water BDR.jpgSystem.jpg

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by willdonal View Post
    Well I spoke to soon again. Hot water came on along with the heating.
    Yes, because you bound the boiler control function to your hot water valve. So every time the heating calls for heat it will heat the hot water too - even if it's over temperature...
    When you say you do not bond a boiler relay, I can’t get the heating to work without doing it. I can get the hot water to work without bonding it but not the heating. So with all that I can only assume that it is wired wrongly. Does that also mean I do not require a separate BDR for the heating? I am not an electrician so the wiring side is beyond me. Looks like I’ll have to get the £50 an hour official Honeywell installer, who lives 1 hour away to come and fix it, that’s going to be a minimum of £150 ��������
    Download the Evohome installation guide from here:

https://heatingcontrols.honeywellhom...stallation.pdf

Have a look at the wiring diagram on page 46 - "S Plan:2 two-port valves with a wired boiler".

This is basically how your system should be wired. You have two heating zone valves - one for upstairs and one for downstairs but with evohome they should just be connected directly in parallel with each other, so you would just wire both the heating zone valves to the same point where it says zone valve HTG.

If you follow the B terminal from each BDR91 you'll see it goes to the brown wire of the zone valves - this allows the two relays to switch the zone valves.

Each zone valve also has a switch built into it connected between Grey and Orange wires. Grey goes to the Live supply, Orange from ALL zone valves goes to the boiler Live. (Bottom right) If your boiler has a built in pump ignore the pump wiring on the diagram.

If possible trace out the wiring on your system (with the power switched off at the switchboard of course) to see what the problem is.

There's two likely possible mistakes in the wiring in your system - either the orange or grey wires on the heating zone valves are not connected or are not connected to the right place, or the boiler live has been connected directly to your hot water BDR91 instead of to the zone valve orange wires.

Unfortunately I can't tell by looking at the pictures you've provided as they don't show the wiring of the boiler.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 13th July 2019 at 06:38 PM.

Automated Home Sr Member

Thanks Mate, Electrical work is not my forte so I guess it is time to get the pro's in. Thanks for your time in trying to sort this out for me and I know it must be quite frustrating when you see the same things popping up all the time. Us amateurs should leave it to you professionals. Cheers
    Will

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

(Just to confuse things) an alternative is to get a third BDR91 and fire the boiler off that (bound as a boiler relay). This might be easier if you don't have the orange wires off the two port valves correctly wired to fire the boiler.

P.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    (Just to confuse things) an alternative is to get a third BDR91 and fire the boiler off that (bound as a boiler relay). This might be easier if you don't have the orange wires off the two port valves correctly wired to fire the boiler.

P.
    Cheers Paul, I am going to get an installer to have a look at my whole system and see if he can figure out what is going on. I will put your suggestion to him.
    Thanks
    Will