Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evohome new install

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    If I remember correctly for the hot water kit two methods can be used. The one I use which is the sensor strapped to the outside of the tank but an alternative is a sensor to go in the tank and am I right thinking that that goes in the top where you would put the immersion heater element? I am sure there is somebody out there who has done this?

I would rather heat my water using my boiler than electricity!
    You can only use the strap on with vented cylinder. You can use the immersion sensor on a unvented cylinder, however if you take out the immersion element and put the sensor there, you wont have a backup heating source etc..

Automated Home Lurker

I managed to get everything working, so for the sake of others reading this, this is how I got it all working.

1 x BDR connected as Boiler Control (Basically this should be connected to the main central heating two port Zone valve, when the HR92 need heat, they trigger this BDR which opens the two port zone valve which tells the boiler to fire up).

1 x BDR connected to a two port zone valve and I am using a TR87 wireless room thermostat to control another zone in my outhouse.

HCE80 controlling two UFH zones and I am using the EvoHome base as one sensor and TR87 wireless thermostat for the other room. The two port Zone valve is connected directly to the pump in parallel, so it opens and closes when the pump starts and stops it opens and closes (Don't need to do this, to be honest you probably dont need the two port zone valve here)

I decided NOT to use the hot water kit so the cylinder need for heat for the hot water is managed by the attached thermostat, I will probably work this out in the future (or find a official installer to get it done).

Now in terms of configuration. (Assuming NO binding in place or everything has been reset)

First connect your BDR19 which will be boiler relay to the evohome, basically go into advance settings, select system devices and select boiler control. Hold down the BDR binding button 15 sec) then bind to evohome.

Now you can bind the HR92 TRV (Radiator valves) to the evohome (add a zone for each HR92), NOTE to make sure you say NO to the sensor question, as you want the HR92 to be the sensor.

Once the HR92 are configured they can control the Central heating via the Boiler control.

The UFH controller binding is simple enough, hold down the "i" (looks like a wifi button) button until the light flashes red, create a zone on the controller select UFH and then bind the UFH zone to the evohome. It will also ask you to bind a room thermostat (Either the evohome base controller or a wireless thermostat). To bind another zone on the controller, you press and hold down "i" however this time when zone 1 flashes you need to press the "i" again for 2 secs to skip that zone and goto the next zone. The follow the same steps.

Hope this helps, feel free to ping me if you any more questions.

Automated Home Ninja

This is incorrect. You shouldn't have a BDR configured as boiler control unless it is DIRECTLY connected to the boiler. Your boiler is controlled by the switches in the zone valves. In this case, your BDRs need to be configured as a central heating and hot water, not boiler control.

You can only have one BDR configured to control central heating, so you'll need to wire it to ALL your central heating valves if you have more than one (which it sounds like you do, but it isn't clear).

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by dty View Post
    This is incorrect. You shouldn't have a BDR configured as boiler control unless it is DIRECTLY connected to the boiler. Your boiler is controlled by the switches in the zone valves. In this case, your BDRs need to be configured as a central heating and hot water, not boiler control.

You can only have one BDR configured to control central heating, so you'll need to wire it to ALL your central heating valves if you have more than one (which it sounds like you do, but it isn't clear).
    Maybe I said it wrong then, the plumber wired this up in one of those Honeywell junction box things.

also when you said you BDR needs to be configured as Central heating and Hotwater, there is no option for that, as this is what I tried to find initially.

Automated Home Ninja

I can't remember what it's called because I set mine up several years ago. But it's hiding in there somewhere! It's the "normal" setup for S-plan - BDRs connected to the CH valve and the DHW valve and the valves controlling the boiler via the orange wire. As I said, you only configure a BDR as boiler control if it's directly connected to the boiler.