• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snake007uk
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jul 2019

Evohome new install

Hi,

I just getting to the point where I can finally install my evohome after ordering it 2 months ago (building delays)

So I have bought the following

5 x HR92 TRV (controlling 5 rads, each its own zone)
    4 X BDR19 wireless relays
    Hot water kit
    2 x wireless thermostats (T87R)
    HCE80 ufh controller
    Evohome WiFi controller

My heating is setup as follows
    I have 5 rads (bedrooms x 3, hallway x 1, front room x 1) - single zone

Two under floor heating zones

Lastly one radiator in outhouse - it’s own zone

I have a valiant system boiler (637) and a tempest Telford unvented cylinder

I am guessing I need to do the following

For each the central heating zone valves I would use a BDR relay and one BDR for the underfloor heating and one for the hot water.

Is this correct?

When binding the devices do I bind the TRV then bind the BDR 5 times?

The hot water kit how do I use the immersion sensor to ensure we don’t lose the protection from the overheating thermostat?

Trying to find a locally installer in Ilford but no luck, and my plumber and I trying to figure this out. I think we are almost there just stuck a little. Any help would be appreciated. Happy to provide diagrams and pictures
  • gordonb3
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Dec 2016

Can't really comment on personal views with respect to zoning, but it seems to me you are missing a rather vital element here. In essence the first thing you should do is replace the original wired thermostat function with a BDR unit - this will most likely have to be a modulating version. Once you register that BDR unit to the Evohome touch controller you should already be able to control your heating as a single zone. From there on you just add zones to control individual or groups of radiators and UFH that will all reference the central controller what BDR unit to switch on whenever there is a heat demand.

Comment

• snake007uk
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jul 2019

Hi @gordonb3, thank you for replying.

Maybe I should clarify, this is a brand new install of everything, my house was fully gutted and renovated. So the boiler and cylinder are brand new and have just been installed. Rather then go down the route of a standard thermostat, I went for Evohome from the start.

What I am trying to achieve is the following:

5 x Radiators controlled by Evohome using the HR92 TRV and a BDR to control the Central Heating two port zone valve
      1 x Radiator in the outhouse (which has its own two port zone valve) would be controlled via a T87R and a BDR connected to its dedicated two port zone valve
      2 x UFH zones connected via the HCE80 and a BDR to control the UFH two port zone valve

Lastly to control the hot water in the cylinder, I could use the Hot Water Kit and the BDR to control the hot water two port zone valve.

I am correct in my design above, and has anyone got any experience with the Tempest Telford unvented cylinder and connected the immersion sensor ?

Comment

• G4RHL
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by snake007uk View Post
        Hi @gordonb3, thank you for replying.

Maybe I should clarify, this is a brand new install of everything, my house was fully gutted and renovated. So the boiler and cylinder are brand new and have just been installed. Rather then go down the route of a standard thermostat, I went for Evohome from the start.

What I am trying to achieve is the following:

5 x Radiators controlled by Evohome using the HR92 TRV and a BDR to control the Central Heating two port zone valve
        1 x Radiator in the outhouse (which has its own two port zone valve) would be controlled via a T87R and a BDR connected to its dedicated two port zone valve
        2 x UFH zones connected via the HCE80 and a BDR to control the UFH two port zone valve

Lastly to control the hot water in the cylinder, I could use the Hot Water Kit and the BDR to control the hot water two port zone valve.

I am correct in my design above, and has anyone got any experience with the Tempest Telford unvented cylinder and connected the immersion sensor ?
        Unless I have missed something you may not need the two port valve for the outhouse. If the outhouse is configured as a zone then you operate your heating as and when you want and if it is an outhouse you want the radiator set to the minimum of 5c anyway. There may be some building regulation requirement that required you to put a valve in the outhouse circuit but it seems the valve is not necessary. My conservatory is configured as a zone set to the minimum temperature of 5c all the time and we just dial up the heat if we want to use it in cooler times. Nowadays I believe the regs say a conservatory cannot be heated off the house central heating circuit. It is not for safety reasons but solely for fuel saving but with Evohome setup it does that for you.

When binding it all remember to configure the hot water first before the heating. The instruction book is not wonderful but if the instructions are methodically followed it should end up working OK.

Comment

• snake007uk
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jul 2019

So I was going to avoid using the hot water kit, as I am not 100% sure what to do with the immersion sensor. Maybe get it added later when I can find a official evohome installer locally.

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

So I was going to avoid using the hot water kit, as I am not 100% sure what to do with the immersion sensor. Maybe get it added later when I can find a official evohome installer locally.
            I left my immersion heater and in place but switched off. It’s a backup in case the Evohome system fails. I fitted the Evohome sensor etc for the hot water and it works well.

Comment

• snake007uk
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Jul 2019

Hi G4RHL,

How did you fit it, I mean the thermostat that is fitted to the cylinder is for overheating protection (from my understanding) I have to remove this and out the immersion sensor in place, would this take care of the overhearing aspect?

Comment

• G4RHL
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jan 2015

Hi G4RHL,

How did you fit it, I mean the thermostat that is fitted to the cylinder is for overheating protection (from my understanding) I have to remove this and out the immersion sensor in place, would this take care of the overhearing aspect?
                My hot water cylinder already had an immersion heater. Just a standard one with a calibration dial on the top and connected to mains power. The thermostat within it is simply built in as part of the heating element. That was left in place. The Evohome one comprises three things. A sensor which is strapped to the side of the tank to sense the temperature, the transmission box to pick up the sensor signals and a normal BDR relay to fire up the boiler when triggered. The immersion is there as a stand by but it is no more than a bog standard immersion heater.

Comment

• snake007uk
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Jul 2019

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                  My hot water cylinder already had an immersion heater. Just a standard one with a calibration dial on the top and connected to mains power. The thermostat within it is simply built in as part of the heating element. That was left in place. The Evohome one comprises three things. A sensor which is strapped to the side of the tank to sense the temperature, the transmission box to pick up the sensor signals and a normal BDR relay to fire up the boiler when triggered. The immersion is there as a stand by but it is no more than a bog standard immersion heater.
                  Mine is the same in terms of the immersion heater and the thermostat/aquastat. Since my one is a unvented cylinder I cannot use the strapon sensor and have to use the immersion sensor, the question is where do I put this? there doesn't seem to be anywhere to place it.

Do i even need the hot water kit? What do I lose if I dont have it.

Comment

• G4RHL
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jan 2015

Mine is the same in terms of the immersion heater and the thermostat/aquastat. Since my one is a unvented cylinder I cannot use the strapon sensor and have to use the immersion sensor, the question is where do I put this? there doesn't seem to be anywhere to place it.

Do i even need the hot water kit? What do I lose if I dont have it.
                    If I remember correctly for the hot water kit two methods can be used. The one I use which is the sensor strapped to the outside of the tank but an alternative is a sensor to go in the tank and am I right thinking that that goes in the top where you would put the immersion heater element? I am sure there is somebody out there who has done this?

I would rather heat my water using my boiler than electricity!

Comment

• snake007uk
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Jul 2019

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                      If I remember correctly for the hot water kit two methods can be used. The one I use which is the sensor strapped to the outside of the tank but an alternative is a sensor to go in the tank and am I right thinking that that goes in the top where you would put the immersion heater element? I am sure there is somebody out there who has done this?

I would rather heat my water using my boiler than electricity!
                      You can only use the strap on with vented cylinder. You can use the immersion sensor on a unvented cylinder, however if you take out the immersion element and put the sensor there, you wont have a backup heating source etc..

Comment

• snake007uk
                        Automated Home Lurker
                        • Jul 2019

I managed to get everything working, so for the sake of others reading this, this is how I got it all working.

1 x BDR connected as Boiler Control (Basically this should be connected to the main central heating two port Zone valve, when the HR92 need heat, they trigger this BDR which opens the two port zone valve which tells the boiler to fire up).

1 x BDR connected to a two port zone valve and I am using a TR87 wireless room thermostat to control another zone in my outhouse.

HCE80 controlling two UFH zones and I am using the EvoHome base as one sensor and TR87 wireless thermostat for the other room. The two port Zone valve is connected directly to the pump in parallel, so it opens and closes when the pump starts and stops it opens and closes (Don't need to do this, to be honest you probably dont need the two port zone valve here)

I decided NOT to use the hot water kit so the cylinder need for heat for the hot water is managed by the attached thermostat, I will probably work this out in the future (or find a official installer to get it done).

Now in terms of configuration. (Assuming NO binding in place or everything has been reset)

First connect your BDR19 which will be boiler relay to the evohome, basically go into advance settings, select system devices and select boiler control. Hold down the BDR binding button 15 sec) then bind to evohome.

Now you can bind the HR92 TRV (Radiator valves) to the evohome (add a zone for each HR92), NOTE to make sure you say NO to the sensor question, as you want the HR92 to be the sensor.

Once the HR92 are configured they can control the Central heating via the Boiler control.

The UFH controller binding is simple enough, hold down the "i" (looks like a wifi button) button until the light flashes red, create a zone on the controller select UFH and then bind the UFH zone to the evohome. It will also ask you to bind a room thermostat (Either the evohome base controller or a wireless thermostat). To bind another zone on the controller, you press and hold down "i" however this time when zone 1 flashes you need to press the "i" again for 2 secs to skip that zone and goto the next zone. The follow the same steps.

Hope this helps, feel free to ping me if you any more questions.

Comment

• dty
                          Automated Home Ninja
                          • Aug 2016

This is incorrect. You shouldn't have a BDR configured as boiler control unless it is DIRECTLY connected to the boiler. Your boiler is controlled by the switches in the zone valves. In this case, your BDRs need to be configured as a central heating and hot water, not boiler control.

You can only have one BDR configured to control central heating, so you'll need to wire it to ALL your central heating valves if you have more than one (which it sounds like you do, but it isn't clear).

Comment

• snake007uk
                            Automated Home Lurker
                            • Jul 2019

Originally posted by dty View Post
                            This is incorrect. You shouldn't have a BDR configured as boiler control unless it is DIRECTLY connected to the boiler. Your boiler is controlled by the switches in the zone valves. In this case, your BDRs need to be configured as a central heating and hot water, not boiler control.

You can only have one BDR configured to control central heating, so you'll need to wire it to ALL your central heating valves if you have more than one (which it sounds like you do, but it isn't clear).
                            Maybe I said it wrong then, the plumber wired this up in one of those Honeywell junction box things.

also when you said you BDR needs to be configured as Central heating and Hotwater, there is no option for that, as this is what I tried to find initially.

Comment

• dty
                              Automated Home Ninja
                              • Aug 2016

I can't remember what it's called because I set mine up several years ago. But it's hiding in there somewhere! It's the "normal" setup for S-plan - BDRs connected to the CH valve and the DHW valve and the valves controlling the boiler via the orange wire. As I said, you only configure a BDR as boiler control if it's directly connected to the boiler.

Comment

Working...
                              X