• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anniesboy
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Aug 2019

Evohome wireless relay

I have a newly installed system
    It was only used initially to enable plumbers to test everything was OK.
    Yesterday I decided to turn it on only to find I was getting no heat at all ,I realised it was due to the fact the boiler relay had become unbound.
    I have successfully rebound it and system works as it should.

My question is I would like to know if there is any way of checking that the relay is bound,without discovering no heat.
    My boiler is in my loft and at 78 years climbing into the loft is a pain.

The other question is,can the relay be moved out of the loft to a room below?

anniesboy

• paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

Not every Evohome system will have a boiler relay bound at all.

Many problems are caused by people binding a boiler relay on S-Plan or Y-Plan systems (where you have two or three port motorised valves), where the boiler is controlled via electrical feeds from those valves. So the first thing is to get you to describe your system in a bit more detail. How many relay boxes do you have? Is it a combi or stored hot water boiler?

As to your other question, yes, an electrician will be able to relocate your relay(s). But they shouldn't ever become unbound for no reason.

P.

Comment

• anniesboy
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Aug 2019

Not S or Y plan, it is system boiler with no hot water provision, that is provided by an immersion heater.(thats another story)

I have ten rads with eight zones, ( 9 hr92s ) and one with standard TRV. Plus wireless relay valve.
      It might have unbound when adding the last of the hr92s as this was a late addition.So hopefully it wont unbind again.
      Im glad to hear the relay could be moved if absolutely necessary.
      Many thanks for reply

Comment

• G4RHL
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jan 2015

It may be the original binding/pairing process did not go as it should. There is certainly no problem having the relay remote from the boiler. Mine is in the airing cupboard upstairs and the boiler downstairs. It is a matter of wiring it up. Also as the boiler is in the loft presumably pre Evohome there was some way of turning it on and off without going up and that point will have the power point to tap into.

I am not far in years from you. Have a loft ladder fitted. However, I have come across installers replacing old style boilers and putting the new one in the loft or former airing cupboard. I suspect this is more because of convenience for the installer. I intend when my boiler is replaced, it’s going well at present, to see if I can get the new one where the current one is. My service man initially said it would have to go in the airing cupboard using the excuse that the gas feeder pipe has to be replaced but when he saw from my face that he would need to think again on that, he did, reluctantly. However, old boiler (22 years) going well and it is certainly not economical to change it.

Comment

• anniesboy
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Aug 2019

This is a completely new installation,the boiler was put in the loft in order minimize lifting of flooring etc.
          I have a decided to get a loft ladder installed,I am glad to hear the relay can be remote from the boiler.
          As an electrician in earlier times moving the relay should not pose a problem.

Comment

Working...
          X