• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seanclarke
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2019

Convert Existing Table lamp to dimmable smart lamp AND manual lamp

Hi,

We have a number of table lamps that we like, but would like to convert them to smart lights.
    Now sure, we can just swap the bulb for a smart bulb.

The downside, according to my wife, is that with a smart bulb "you have to control it with a smart phone or a nearby alexa / google device"
    That's not always the best way. Sometimes, especially if you are sat next to the light, you do just want to reach your arm out, as we have done for many years and hit a switch to turn it on or off.

However, we all know that we should not turn off smart bulbs, as it can shorten their life, and if it's turned off at the mains, you cannot turn it on again remotely.

So here is the dilema...

How can I upgrade an existing table lamp to become smart, whilst retaining the "old fashioned" and sometimes more convenient way of turning it on and off by a traditional switch.

I was wondering if there is an inline cable device that could be added to the power lead that was smart, but also had touch controls on it.
    Or a better smart bulb that too, also had touch controls on it. If it's also dimmable ever better, colour changing too would be perfect.
    But I'll set my goals low to start with and be happy with on and off.

Would love to know everyones thoughts on this please, as I am yet to find a solution to make an existing lamp smart and keep the convenience of a switch on the device as well.
    I know that there are some smart lamps on the market now, that do also have touch controls - but they are all very quirky in design and some just look plain awful.
  • guyank
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Sep 2015

I’ve used a combination of Hue bulbs in the lamps and a Fibaro dimmer behind the light switch to do exactly this in 3 rooms. The dimmer can use scenes depending on the number of clicks of a rocker switch you make. These scenes then set the Hue bulbs and overhead light fitting to a certain colour and brightness through SmartThings and WebCore. It works seamlessly as I didn’t want to be picking up a phone to turn lights on.

Comment

• seanclarke
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Sep 2019

Originally posted by guyank View Post
      I’ve used a combination of Hue bulbs in the lamps and a Fibaro dimmer behind the light switch to do exactly this in 3 rooms. The dimmer can use scenes depending on the number of clicks of a rocker switch you make. These scenes then set the Hue bulbs and overhead light fitting to a certain colour and brightness through SmartThings and WebCore. It works seamlessly as I didn’t want to be picking up a phone to turn lights on.
      mmmm it's one solution but far from perfect.

1) Fibaro does not work directly with Amazon Echo / Alexa.
      Yes Fibaro works with the SmartThings hub and then Samsung’s SmartThings works with Alexa
      So I now need 2 additional hubs to get this to work - far from perfect.

Nice idea, but there must be something simpler to take existing lamps and add a smart dimmer to them with a human switch on them as well.

Comment

• Kevin
        • Jan 2004

There’s this (expensive) inline switch for on/off control.. I suppose you could use a dimmable bulb too but the device will get switched OFF so repeater functionality will vanish. But it could be switched on remotely using two commands, as long as the bulb isn’t the only route to the switch.

https://www.uk-automation.co.uk/z-wave-cord-switch-for-table-lamps-by-swiid/

search eBay too - I bought some of these from France for well under half that price.

Comment

• seanclarke
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Sep 2019

The perfect answer

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
          There’s this (expensive) inline switch for on/off control.. I suppose you could use a dimmable bulb too but the device will get switched OFF so repeater functionality will vanish. But it could be switched on remotely using two commands, as long as the bulb isn’t the only route to the switch.

https://www.uk-automation.co.uk/z-wave-cord-switch-for-table-lamps-by-swiid/

search eBay too - I bought some of these from France for well under half that price.

And that my friend is kind of the perfect answer.

Something to replace the existing inline switch - so it can be used manually as it has for countless years, but can also be used smartly as will be the future.

Excellent - thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X