Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: evohome ATF600 wall mount cable

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DorrisMancer View Post
    It would be far preferable to sink a back-box to house the power supply and to use the old thermostat wiring to provide a mains supply from the wiring centre.
    Not for me - plaster over solid brick for interior walls. I don't fancy carving out the space for a backbox from brick...it's hard enough just to drill holes in the brick to mount a shelf

Re-using the original mains wiring for the low voltage DC has worked just fine for me, but it does depend on how long it is and what wire gauge it is. My run is probably about 8 metres.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; Yesterday at 10:59 AM.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DorrisMancer View Post
    It would be far preferable to sink a back-box to house the power supply and to use the old thermostat wiring to provide a mains supply from the wiring centre.
    Wow! NO! That is a sure way to set your home on fire. If you really want to install the ATF600 with the transformer mounted to its back you should replace the original low voltage thermostat wiring with 230V installation wire. The simpler approach is to detach the transformer from the ATF600 and connect the blue/red thermostat wiring to the mounting plate instead: red to red, blue to black. Next connect the transformer to the other end of the wires which will typically sit right next to the boiler and which you obviously already disconnected earlier to install the BDR unit.

With respect to distance as mentioned by DBMandrake I'm not real sure what route/distance this wire travels in my house, but it has to be at least 10 meters and I have no issues whatsoever with this installation.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by gordonb3 View Post
    Wow! NO! That is a sure way to set your home on fire. If you really want to install the ATF600 with the transformer mounted to its back you should replace the original low voltage thermostat wiring with 230V installation wire.
    Sorry, that's nonsense (and I hope that anyone considering this is already aware of cable colour schemes). Wiring to the old-style thermostats is typically 6243Y (flat, 3 core + earth) cable ... maybe you misunderstood what I was suggesting (and have done myself).
    The potential (pun intended) problems with having the power supply remote from the device are: safely mounting the PSU and voltage drop on the cable, and I don't know whether anyone has measured the current drawn by the device, the output voltage range of the PSU and the acceptable minimum voltage for the device ... with that info (and knowledge of the cable resistance) it's just ohm's law.

Sinking a back-box into brick is very quick if you stitch-drill with an SDS drill.