Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boiler to go with EvoHome?

Automated Home Lurker

Default Boiler to go with EvoHome?

I have an old 30kW boiler that's on its last legs and needs replacing so I've been looking round for suitable models. I also need to have the ability to set different temperatures in different rooms of the house at various times of days so I want to get EvoHome installed as well.

I was originally looking at Vaillant but then discovered they don't support OpenTherm...and (from what I understand) whilst this doesn't mean it's impossible to use a Vaillant with EvoHome, it's better if the boiler does support OpenTherm.

I've had Intergas recommended (as it works well with EvoHome and the boilers themselves are supposed to be pretty good) and one installer also recommended a Baxi 830.

Just wondering what boilers other EvoHome users have? Any recommendations as to what (or what not!) to get?

Thanks

Automated Home Sr Member

The system you have will also impact on whether to go OpenTherm. If you have a S or Y plan system - have a look at this (registration required): http://theevohomeshopforum.co.uk/vie...440c36b2e8e4b4

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

I went for Intergas (got the Eco RF model).

Plays perfectly with Evohome, and I love the fact that the internal design is so simple (OK, maybe the electronics less so). Why invest in something that's going to be dead within 5-10 years like most modern boilers?

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    I went for Intergas (got the Eco RF model).

Plays perfectly with Evohome, and I love the fact that the internal design is so simple (OK, maybe the electronics less so). Why invest in something that's going to be dead within 5-10 years like most modern boilers?
    Thanks Paul. Just out of interest, what was it that swung you to the Eco RF over the Xtreme or Xclusive?

I think the Eco range is supposed to be quieter than the X models, and some of the X models have a shorter warranty. The Eco is also a bit smaller.

Basically, I went for the tried and tested model. The Xes had only just come out when I bought. But I think the X models have a better modulation range, which might be appealing with Evohome/Opentherm. So swings and roundabouts...

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    I think the Eco range is supposed to be quieter than the X models, and some of the X models have a shorter warranty. The Eco is also a bit smaller.

Basically, I went for the tried and tested model. The Xes had only just come out when I bought. But I think the X models have a better modulation range, which might be appealing with Evohome/Opentherm. So swings and roundabouts...
    Ok, thanks...makes sense. I believe the Xclusive is basically the Xtreme but without the Passive Flue Gas Heat Recovery thingy whatsit (I'm such a pro! ;-)

Quite tempted by the Xclusive...noise isn't really a massive issue for me as it would be in the loft. I do like the minimal moving parts inside and the good integration with EvoHome. Have you had any issues getting it serviced? Only reason I ask is that Intergas are much less common than the "big boys" and from my (admittedly quite limited) research, it seems there are nowhere near as many Intergas-approved plumbers near me.

No trouble at all with servicing.

Automated Home Legend

Vaillant Green IQ, 1:10 modulation range. No opentherm, but the modulation range makes it great for EvoHome. I'm told by some Vaillant Senior engineers it'll even modulate down more than the 1:10 ratio, whether this is correct or not is another question.

Not 100% sold on Opentherm, yes it's good but I don't really see much energy savings by using it in the majority of the households in the UK.

Surely to make the most of a wide modulation range you NEED opentherm?

That way the controller can set the boiler to a lower temp, rather than just pulsing it on and off at full blast like TPI does.

Automated Home Legend

Not really, Opentherm is a flow temperature set point. If your boiler only has a 1:4 modulation range, in some cases (on a 20kw output) it’ll only modulate down to 5kw (or if 1:6, 3.3kw) if your system is only calling for heat at one or two radiators or heat demand it can’t modulate down low enough at which point it’ll just cycle On and off whether the temperature is 40 or 75oc. If anything it’ll be worse with a lower flow temperature set point.

A boiler with a good modulation range with TPI, IMO is just as good as a boiler with opentherm and poor modulation range. It’ll self modulate to the demand on the system at that current time, the only difference is you’ll set the flow temperature on the boiler yourself.

But yes you are correct, if you want to use Opentherm you need a boiler with the biggest modulation range possible to make the most of it.

I’m all for energy saving but in reality I don’t think here in the UK Opentherm adds much to the savings, if any.