Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boiler to go with EvoHome?

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

In the case of very low demand, where I agree the boiler might have to cycle even with opentherm, isn't it better to cycle with a low setpoint than with the boiler going full blast?

Not just from a savings point of view - I'm actually thinking more in terms of control and comfort. Rooms with oscillating temps, for example. I used to see that a lot when I used TPI, but not at all now I've gone to Opentherm.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    In the case of very low demand, where I agree the boiler might have to cycle even with opentherm, isn't it better to cycle with a low setpoint than with the boiler going full blast?

Not just from a savings point of view - I'm actually thinking more in terms of control and comfort. Rooms with oscillating temps, for example. I used to see that a lot when I used TPI, but not at all now I've gone to Opentherm.
    Not really no, as the boiler won't be able to modulate down enough to achieve that lower temperature and stay there. Of course this will happen if you've only got demand on a few radiators, if your full system is calling for heat then your boiler will modulate accordingly.

You've jumped from TPI on an old non-modulating boiler to Opentherm on a boiler that modulates - yes I'd expect you'd see some gain in comfort levels as your old boiler would have just cycled rather than modulated. I suspect if you used TPI on your new boiler you wouldn't notice much difference if any in comfort levels - throw in the fact that Evohome requests 100% heat demand from any zone 1.5oc of the set point you could actually argue that other zones requesting small amounts of heat might actually overshoot.

I'm actually running an old non condensing non modulating boiler with TPI and don't experience any issues with comfort levels or overshoots - apart from when the system is relearning (Had an issue with a TRV playing up that'd i'd corrected).

I didn’t have comfort issues as such before jumping to Opentherm. Most of what I could see was on graphs, rather than 'real world'. But then with OT I realised there was a change. Not as big as the change when going from old-school to Evohome, but a change nevertheless.

Automated Home Legend

I will still go with Intergas when the time comes to replace. My service engineer, former installer, has for some years recommended them even though he says it affects his business as he gets fewer call outs. Currently he keeps telling me to stick with my current 22 year old boiler as it works and is obviously more economical than changing.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    I will still go with Intergas when the time comes to replace. My service engineer, former installer, has for some years recommended them even though he says it affects his business as he gets fewer call outs. Currently he keeps telling me to stick with my current 22 year old boiler as it works and is obviously more economical than changing.
    I'd stick with your 22 year old boiler too!

Yeah, but NEW TOYS!!!!!

Automated Home Lurker

Yeah, but NEW TOYS!!!!!
    Haha that is SO me! 😂

Automated Home Legend

Yeah, but NEW TOYS!!!!!
    Not a cheap new toy! I suspect I need also to upgrade my radiators (also 22 years old) when the time comes. I’ll wait until death is nearer (the boiler’s!) before spending.

Just realised it is coming up to 5 years since I installed Evohome and no complaints other than the app could do with updating and I think the control panel needs a little modernisation. The system does though work. Particularly after I got through the playing with it stage at the outset. I just leave it alone.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    Not a cheap new toy! I suspect I need also to upgrade my radiators (also 22 years old) when the time comes. I’ll wait until death is nearer (the boiler’s!) before spending.

Just realised it is coming up to 5 years since I installed Evohome and no complaints other than the app could do with updating and I think the control panel needs a little modernisation. The system does though work. Particularly after I got through the playing with it stage at the outset. I just leave it alone.
    That's what I love about Evohome and many of my customers do - you can just set it and forget it! The only time I ever really mess with the App if is the HW needs boosting or at this time of year when we just want the living room radiator on. Other than that and changing batteries we rarely touch it and it just works.

Automated Home Guru

I have an Atag boiler, long guarantee and pretty efficient.