• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuxtonJim
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Aug 2018

Evohome and other wireless devices

Hi
    Apart from the well noted unreliability of accessing Evohome remotely my system seems to be running very reliably. One of my concerns before installing was about signal reach but it has proved fine. I'm now considering installing a wireless alarm that also operates within 868MHz and am wondering about others' experience who have been down this route. I appreciate that the radio traffic that Evohome generates isn't great but would be interested if anyone has any simple 'do's and don'ts' that they could share please. I'm guessing that it might be best to keep the alarm panel and display physically separated but beyond that I'm unsure.
    Thank you in advance for any help.
  • philchillbill
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2017

I have Evohome Security happily operating alongside Evohome for 2 years now and never a glitch. It's also on 868MHz but probably with different encoding. The ISM bands (which include 868) are duty-cycle limited by law so chatty devices are simply never encountered and that means dozens of devices can happily co-exist within range of each other.

Comment

• G4RHL
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by philchillbill View Post
      I have Evohome Security happily operating alongside Evohome for 2 years now and never a glitch. It's also on 868MHz but probably with different encoding. The ISM bands (which include 868) are duty-cycle limited by law so chatty devices are simply never encountered and that means dozens of devices can happily co-exist within range of each other.
      I also run Evohome Security with no issues. Plus other Wi-Fi products around the house - Arlo cameras & and extensive network of Philips Hue lights and devices. No problems. I don’t have problems operating Evohome Heating & Security away from home. Occasionally I have an issue but that is down to a poor connection where I am. It does seem the app, unlike other apps, struggles badly if the signal strength is not wonderful.

Comment

• BuxtonJim
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Aug 2018

Thank you Philchillbill and G4RHL, you've reassured me on the 868 front. I'm a bit put off further Evohome investment given HW's apparent disinterest in their existing customer base.

Comment

• G4RHL
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by BuxtonJim View Post
          Thank you Philchillbill and G4RHL, you've reassured me on the 868 front. I'm a bit put off further Evohome investment given HW's apparent disinterest in their existing customer base.
          I wouldn’t worry about Honeywell’s interest in their customers. They have never had such which is odd for any company these days. They seem to want the middle men, the installers, to handle all that, but there are not many installers of Evohome who know what they are doing. Yes they appear as recommended but only Honeywell know how that was achieved for the evidence at the Coal face often shows a lack of knowledge. The end user is a forgotten species. They probably did not realise how many would install the system themselves! The app badly, very badly, needs improving and the control panel has a sort of clunkinness in how it functions.

However, it works and works well. It is nearly 5 years since I installed it and if you leave it alone it does the job. I have no regrets. It would be nice though if Honeywell realised the end user is the most important person in the supply chain.

Comment

• paulockenden
            Automated Home Legend
            • Apr 2015

Bear in mind that Evohome is no longer Honeywell.

Resideo was spun off as a separate company.

That will probably affect customer service. I'm not sure in which direction, but hopefully a positive one.

They good guys - James, Richard, Louise, etc. are still around, but hopefully without so much corporate inertia.

Comment

• anniesboy
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Aug 2019

My recent and only contact with Resido was positive my call was answered quickly, I was sent an email with helpful suggestions and given a case number for follow-up if needed.
              It wasn't.

Comment

• G4RHL
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                Bear in mind that Evohome is no longer Honeywell.

Resideo was spun off as a separate company.

That will probably affect customer service. I'm not sure in which direction, but hopefully a positive one.

They good guys - James, Richard, Louise, etc. are still around, but hopefully without so much corporate inertia.
                I replied to this but it does not appear.

Yes, I forgot about the change but you never hear of Resideo in the UK. It does not seem to market itself although I should exercise caution for I do not “see” advertisements. However, I have just googled the best of such devices and it came up second in 2019 but not as Resideo. It appears entirely as Honeywell and the Resideo name is not used. The web page I looked at says “Honeywell Evohome: The most comprehensive room-by-room heating system you’ll find”. Tado came first.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Sep 2014

From what I can see while Resideo might be a separate company now all the branding of Evohome is still Honeywell.

Almost as if Honeywell have retained the rights to the product but contracted out a now "independent" company to support the product.

Yes, I'm confused...

Comment

• G4RHL
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                    From what I can see while Resideo might be a separate company now all the branding of Evohome is still Honeywell.

Almost as if Honeywell have retained the rights to the product but contracted out a now "independent" company to support the product.

Yes, I'm confused...
                    Simply a marketing company but I am not aware of it doing a lot of marketing.

Comment

Working...
                    X