Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Evohome controller multi comms faults.

Automated Home Jr Member

Pulling the controller off the stand and causing a resync seems the only solution, but it takes and hour to resync all the zones which is hardly effective.

Automated Home Guru

Hmm. It sounds like the problem might lie with the BDR91 or its connection to the boiler rather than the controller as you've indicated that although the BDR91 is showing green, the boiler isn't firing. Restarting the controller will trigger it to poll all devices and hence why you seem to eventually get a reset of the BDR91, if its status was incorrect. When you re-bound the BDR91, did you first reset it by a long press on the button (15secs)? If not, it's a simple thing you can try. It's also worth checking the BDR91s wiring in case it's become damaged/loose causing occasional disconnects. I'm not sure how common BDR91 failures/faults are, but at least they're cheaper to replace than a new controller. Another user with a similar problem, but theirs occurred shortly after installation, even found that swapping their HW and Boiler BDR91s over, resetting them and re-binding seemed to fix their comms problem which was a really weird one.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Don’t forget that a boiler won’t fire if the water flowing through it is already up to temperature.

That always used to get me when I had an old iron boiler and a BDR91. There was power to the boiler but it wasn’t firing. Couldn’t work out why. But it (thought) it didn’t need to.

May not be the issue here, but worth remembering anyway.

Automated Home Guru

Good point Paul!

Automated Home Jr Member

BD91 all looks fine and has been fully cleared and rebound many times. 4 comms faults this morning, all at 0825, HW, CH and 2 rad actuators, both of which have good battery levels, no comms faults from the other 12 of course.

Current working thinking is the microswitch in the Honeywell zone valve is caput, seeing as manually switching the heating BD91 on sometimes gets heat, sometimes doesn't and we figure that would confuse the system causing the other symptoms.

Eng being scheduled for early next week so fingers crossed we track down and resolve the issue. Cheers for the input BTW.

Automated Home Legend

Hmm, I think you're a little confused on a few points.

1) Comms outages don't cause the bindings between devices to be lost. Rebinding them only has a placebo effect, so you're wasting your time attempting to rebind devices if there is a comms outage. They will reconnect by themselves when the source of interference is removed or the signal improves.

2) If you're seeing comms errors to 4 different devices at the exact same time of the day I'd be suspecting interference of some kind, or a fault with the controller itself since it is the common thing for communication with 4 different devices as all devices communicate back to the controller and do not communicate with each other.

3) If the microswitch in the zone valve that fires the boiler is faulty, it would certainly prevent the boiler firing (and thus need fixing) however it would not "confuse the system and cause other symptoms". The honeywell system would be completely unaware of the faulty microswitch, and it would definitely not cause comms errors to be reported. Comms errors are only caused by wireless comms issues (low signal/interference) or if the device at one end is not powered. (Flat batteries etc)
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 8th November 2019 at 08:31 PM.

Automated Home Jr Member

Well confused I certainly am!

Engineer came out today, thought it had incorrectly been configured with a Boiler Relay Valve which we don't have, so changed that.... No idea how that would have changed as no one has touched it and its been working fine until recently.

They tested RF comms on everything, no issues... They left and since then I've had various comms faults, of course not consistent and not for everything so a comms interruption doesn't make sense either.

Anyway, they're bringing a new controller out and going to reset the whole system up so we'll see if that solves the issue.

Automated Home Jr Member

Time for an update....

I took a punt and factory reset the controller, all the HR92s etc and started binding up the system from a scratch again. Much to my surprise that worked, the system needed to relearn optimasations etc but fundamentally operated as expected and I've not had a comms fault or flinch since, well until today...

No heating again! However Evo controller is responding to changes from controller, app or Hr92 and triggering the CH BR91 accordingly, in turn the motorised switch operates..... However the boiler does not fire, same thing if I turn the BD91 on or manually operate the switch.

HW is working fine and if that's on the heat will flow through the CH switch and rads heat up, however 95% of the time if the water goes the boiler goes off despite the CH BD91 being on and the switch being operated, 5% of the time the boiler will stay on.

The other anomaly is the motorised switch for the CH gets hot, the HW switch never gets hot, even when the HW is on and flowing.

I'm wondering if the Motorised switch for the CH is not operating fully even though its allowing flow, so not enough to close the contacts to call for the boiler to fire?

Automated Home Sr Member

You probably know this, but just in case: the BDR91s control the zone valves; when either of the zone valves is fully open it operates a microswitch which switches the pump on and also applies power to the boiler; when the boiler temp is cool-enough the boiler fires.
    Does the pump always run? Have you checked for loose contacts or intermittent wires in the connections between the zone valves and the pump or boiler?
    If the LED is lit on the BDR91 the zone valve should be open (you can check by operating the manual lever) and the pump should be running. If the pump isn't running then try bridging the appropriate zone valve's microswitch with an external switch.
    Last edited by DorrisMancer; 3rd December 2019 at 03:09 PM.

Automated Home Jr Member

I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the microswitch in the CH valve now, HW valve is fine.

Interestingly a couple of evo certified installers have now both told me that as I have HR92s on all but two rads (recommended at time to ha e two without), there's no point having the CH valve at all and the BD91 should be wired directly to the boiler for demand as the HR92s control the opening and closing process at a rad level.

I'm working round it for now by using lots of HW on long showers as then the HW fires up and the rads get hot.

The system was out in 4 years ago, by evo certified installers so I'd have hoped it was correct as per best practice then... I know best practice can change so I'm open to having it reconfigured if needs be

I guess the question to the experts here is, with 13 out of 15 rads with HR92s is having the CH BD91 connected to a Honeywell 2 port valve the best way to do it or just adding a valve that doesn't need to be there and potentially causing issues?