Thread: Den Automation has gone titsup

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Default Den Automation has gone titsup

According to The Register (who are usually right about these things), Den Automation has gone to the wall.

It's a shame - the products had a lot going for them. But I'm not surprised. Wearing my PC Pro hat I asked for review samples several times, but it seems they were afraid of the products getting mainstream attention other than places that only do 'skim the surface' reviews.

I hope someone else buys the IP, and gets the whole thing up and running again.

P.

Automated Home Legend

Never heard of them before! That's a shame.

I'm looking to replace a couple of outdoor light switches (which are inside the back porch) with smart switches that I can control with IFTTT but still have a physical button of some kind on the front as well. I see Den did one... Any recommendations of other brands that are suitable for UK switches ?

They had good WAF (wife acceptance factor).

Or husband acceptance factor for one regular forum poster.

Automated Home Legend

So the alternatives now for UK wiring compatible smart light switches are......Lightwave ? and....... ??

I was never happy about how Den lights witches were wired. They used Earth as Neutral.

Other manufacturers *could* do that, but they don't. For good reason.

Automated Home Legend

Yes it's a bit naughty.... however lighting circuits aren't typically RCD protected and if its just a few milliamps it's probably not an issue in practice. And what's the alternative in a light switch back box with no neutral wire, which is the case in the vast majority of UK homes ?

Yeah, but Earth is there for safety. I wasn’t convinced that “there’s no alternative” was a good reason to use it for power.

I also suspect the switches would be destroyed next time an electrical inspection is done and a Megger shoves 500V between live and earth...