Thread: Connecting Sony RDR-HXD710 Recorder

Default Connecting Sony RDR-HXD710 Recorder

I would be grateful for some advice on how to interconnect a recorder and two set top boxes.
    My present system consists of a Sony KV-28WSKU tv, a Technomate TM5000D box with its own satellite aerial, a Sky box with its own aerial and a Panasonic NVHV 60EB-S Video Recorder.
    I have just purchased a Sony RDR-HXF710 Recorder with its own built in Freeview tuner. This means that I no longer need the Sky box and the Panasonic Video Recorder.
    There are four coaxial leads at present as the people who installed the system arranged that we could view programs coming either from the Technomate, or from the Sky Box, or from the terrestrial tv aerial in other rooms of the house. I think the connections are as follows:

A cable (lets call it C1) connected to the ANT IN socket of the Technomate (presumably from Dish 1)
    A cable (C2) connected to the Dish Input of the Sky Box (Dish 2?)
    A cable (C3) connected to the RF OUT 1 socket of the Sky Box (think this may be the one that goes up into the loft, presumably to the splitter(?) that is there, and then fed down from that to two other tvs in the house.
    A cable (C4) from the TV OUT MODULATOR socket of the Technomate to the IN/ENT socket of the Panasonic
    A cable (C5) from the VIDEO OUT socket of the Panasonic to the AERIAL IN socket of the Sky Box
    A cable (C6) from the IF IN socket of the Technomate to? (does it also go to the splitter?)
    A cable (C7) from RF OUT 2 socket of the Sky Box to the tv.

Sorry to trouble you with so much detail. Have given each cable a code to make it easier to refer to them.

How do I wire up the new Sony?

One further point. We have never been able to record channels received by the Sky Box. Should we be able to record anything with the new Sony, including channels received by the Technomate?

Would be most grateful for your help
    Regards
    Brian

Automated Home Lurker

Default Re: Connecting Sony RDR-HXD710 Recorder

Brian,

I need to make a few assumptions as to how you connect your TV and what connections the technomate provides as i cant find the manual

Getting the basics out of way connect your Sony to TV with the best available connection (hdmi/component/rgb scart)

Feed Technostat its dish input and connect to tv with best available connection (hdmi/component/rgb scart)

Now comes the tricky part, i assume the technomate has an analog tuner not digital ? You may or may not be able to use your existing aerial to pickup freeview
    http://www.freeview.co.uk/whatdoineed/aerials.html

Assuming you can
    Feed Technomate the Aerial Input
    Feed RFOut from Technomate RFin on Sony
    Feed RFOut from Sony up to loft for distribution (i assume you dont want to send RF to TV also)

Now you should be able to use the sony to record tv(via Technomate)
    record Technomate (from RFin)

Your AV area only needs 2 RFcables, one for the aerial input, one for the
    return signal (this is what gets distributed).

If you find the connections above are not available then youd need to split
    the signal run one of these into a modulator.
    I can recommend a loftbox for RF signal ditribution, as for modulator take your pick, maplin do a reasonably cheap one as do Philex and CYP

Default Re: Connecting Sony RDR-HXD710 Recorder

Hi Paul,
    Thanks again for your help.
    Have now got the tv, sony recorder and technomate boxes to work and have set up the channel we want on the technomate to display as channel 8 on the tv.
    I still have a problem with distributing the signal to the other tv via the loft. The loft device seems to be a splitter (?) with one input lead and a number of output leads which go to the other tvs in the house. I know that a coaxial lead which came from the old skybox RF OUT socket goes to this input lead.
    The problem is that the Sony Recorder does not have a suitable output. The AERIAL OUT is connected to the tv (as suggested in the manual - this was the arrangement with the old sky box - the lounge tv was fed directly and the rf out fed the others via the loft array). The only other output which looks suitable is the DIGITAL OUT COAXIAL but this takes a plug like an audio one and will not take the coaxial plug.
    If you can be of further help, I would be very grateful.
    Regards
    Brian

Default Re: Connecting magic eye to sky box

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Hi Paul,
    Thanks again for your help.
    Have now got the tv, sony recorder and technomate boxes to work and have set up the channel we want on the technomate to display as channel 8 on the tv.
    I still have a problem with distributing the signal to the other tv via the loft. The loft device seems to be a splitter (?) with one input lead and a number of output leads which go to the other tvs in the house. I know that a coaxial lead which came from the old skybox RF OUT socket goes to this input lead.
    The problem is that the Sony Recorder does not have a suitable output. The AERIAL OUT is connected to the tv (as suggested in the manual - this was the arrangement with the old sky box - the lounge tv was fed directly and the rf out fed the others via the loft array). The only other output which looks suitable is the DIGITAL OUT COAXIAL but this takes a plug like an audio one and will not take the coaxial plug.
    If you can be of further help, I would be very grateful.
    Regards
    Brian
    Code:
    [list][url][img][/img][list=][b][/b][u][/u][/list][/url][/list]