• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edhodges1984
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2018

2x HR92 acting weird - showing no sync all the time

Hi all,
    I haven't posted here for a while but I know this is a decent place to get advice.
    I'm just about the end of my tether with my evohome setup and I need some help please!
    Let me set the scene:
    I set up my evohome August 2018 - it worked perfectly and I've had little issues (apart from a few teething issues when I installed it) despite having a small cupboard to put it all in (both BDR's were next to each other and near the boiler (with 30cm).
    A few days ago my evohome threw a hissy fit, both BDR's (Heating & hot water) flashing red lights and issues with some loss of comms with zones (2 in particular).
    I tried factory reset, unbinding both BDR's and clearing all 4 HR92's to start a fresh.
    everything seemed to work OK but I was getting issues with HR92's saying no sync after 10 or so minutes after binding to the evohome controller.

So I though lets do things properly - today I moved the BDR's as far away from each other and the boiler (and any metal work) as much as I possibly can - the BDR's are approx 65cm away from each other, and 50cm away from boilers and pipes. I replaced batteries in all HR92's and the CS92 hot water sensor to some decent energizer ones (not lithium or rechargeable).

I started everything from scratch again (as if it were a new system) - all HR92's cleared BDR's unbound etc but the problem persists.

This has never happened in the 12+ months I've had the system, I've not moved any rads or changed the layout of my home and communication between the HR92's and the evohome controller has been fine.

As far as I am aware the neighbours haven't installed any new wireless technology, and the neighbours the other side are too far away for it to be a problem (probably)

My next move is to see if the problem remains when I swap the HR92's with issues to the rooms I know don't.

Has anyone got any other advice. please!

Thanks
  • DanD
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Feb 2016

From your description of the problems it sounds like it's due to the messages sent from the controller not being received by the devices which would suggest that the problem is at the controller end. We're there also many errors on the controller too?

Is the contoller always just left on its stand or is it moved around? Loss of power at the controller can give the same symptoms so I'd check that it's not caused by a poor connection causing intermittent restarts. You'd likely have noticed this though as you'd either have had a black screen or zones shown with the egg timer symbol which appear after a restart.

You don't mention whether you've tried temporarily repositioning the controller at all. If you haven't already tried this, I'd suggest moving it at least 1 room closer to the problem rads & BDRs. If the problem simply shifts to different zones, then it would suggest a controller signal range problem. Was it difficult to find a suitable error-free location for the controller when you first installed?

It's not common, but signal problems can also be caused by even something as simple as some fabrics. I have some zipped storage bags which are able to cause a large reduction in the signal. They get moved around in the house and then I discover which ever rad they've been placed near has a comms fault.

If you've already tried all of this then it does sound like the your controller might be faulty.

Comment

Working...
    X