• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jemster
    Automated Home Guru
    • Dec 2018

Change dts92... easiest way?

As a few of you may remember, I have had random issues with RF getting saturated leading to multiple zone failures. I have put it down to a faulty dts92 and today I have a replacement ready to setup.

Just seeing if anybody is out there that could suggest the best way of going about this? The zone has 3 hr92s that I’m leaving alone and one dts92 that I’m swapping.

So is it best to delete the entire zone? Or clear the binding on the old dts92 and putting the zone into binding mode on the evohome and simple placing the new dts92 in bind mode? Just looking for the easiest way as it would be a pain to delete the zone and have to re-enter all its schedules from scratch.

Thanks!
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

If you have the new WiFi model of controller then you can simply choose to bind a new temperature sensor for the zone and it will replace the old one without needing to delete the zone or touch any of the HR92's. You don't need to unbind the old DTS92 at the controller end.

I would still clear the binding on the old DTS92 itself though if it is still functional, the main reason being that it will still try to act as a set point controller even if it is no longer the temeprature sensor for the zone.

So clear the binding on the old DTS92, then on the controller choose to bind a new temperature sensor then put the new DTS92 in binding mode so that it binds, job done.

I would leave the batteries out of the old one unless you choose to bind it to another zone.

Comment

• Jemster
      Automated Home Guru
      • Dec 2018

Thanks. Incredibly easy. That makes a refreshing change!
      New one up and running, old one gonna get dispatched with a hammer... nah, I’ll take a look and see if I can rescue it to keep as a spare. Some kind of a loose contact on the batteries - twirling the battery in the holder, or even picking up the unit could cause it to shut off. Fingers crossed that was the cause of my problems.

Comment

• DBMandrake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Jemster View Post
        Thanks. Incredibly easy. That makes a refreshing change!
        New one up and running, old one gonna get dispatched with a hammer... nah, I’ll take a look and see if I can rescue it to keep as a spare. Some kind of a loose contact on the batteries - twirling the battery in the holder, or even picking up the unit could cause it to shut off. Fingers crossed that was the cause of my problems.
        If you open up the case and carefully bend the tabs holding the PCB to the sides you can pop out the PCB. You'll find the battery contacts contact copper pads on the rear of the PCB and that the spring loading of the battery contacts is not very good and doesn't apply much pressure. Bend the end of the battery contacts forward slightly so that they press harder onto the rear of the PCB and reassemble it.

That should fix the problem. (also check the tension on the part of the contacts that press onto the batteries - but you've probably already checked that)

The CS92A hot water sensor (which uses the same case) suffers from the exact same problem with poor contact on the rear of the PCB and has the same cure, although for some reason the CS92A is much more prone to this problem.

Poor quality battery contacts and contacts losing tension seems to afflict all Evohome devices - including HR92's and the controller itself! Over 4 years I've had to tighten the battery contacts of nearly every Evohome device in my system - some HR92's I've had to do twice now as the contacts are as soft as butter and have the weight of the batteries pressing down on them.
        Last edited by DBMandrake; 12 November 2019, 12:53 AM.

Comment

• Jemster
          Automated Home Guru
          • Dec 2018

Perfect as always DBMandrake. I pulled the old one apart and tightened up the springs at the PCB end and that seems to be it fixed. Tried shaking it and slapping it and it continued to work perfectly. I didn’t want to try messing with it unless I had a spare one handy, just in case I messed up and bust it totally.

One for the spares box... I do hope that’s my random temperature overrides solved.

Thanks!

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

Just fit it in another zone that doesn't currently have a remote sensor ?

My living room DTS92 has started rebooting when "bumped" by my 3 year old so I think I'll have to do the same thing to it...it's one of the few Evohome devices in my house that has not already had the battery contacts tweaked.
            Last edited by DBMandrake; 13 November 2019, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X