Hive active heating with hive radiator valves vs Honeywell Evohome.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevedh
    Automated Home Guru
    • Mar 2017

Hive active heating with hive radiator valves vs Honeywell Evohome.

Spose which is better. I don't know hive but was wondering now that they have radiator valves can it pretty much do what eveohome can. Do you need an active internet connection to control the valves, or can it work like evohome without?
  • wilfman
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2019

From my painful experience, Hive Smart TRVs are too immature. I had invested in Hive Thermostat previously and was impressed, so made sense to upgrade to the TRVs.
    - As of a couple of weeks ago they had a known firmware issue where they would not heat on demand/schedule so you had to manually go around the house turning them on and off :-(
    - Time to respond was slow compared to honeywell.
    - They do not have features such as open window detection, ability to group/zone, etc.

I ended up sending all the Hive TRVs back for a refund and invested in Honeywell. I am super impressed with it. It just works and is simple to use and configure. The only thing that Hive has over Honeywell is that the Honeywell hives are noisy when opening closing valves compared to the Hives but that is a minor issue.

Comment

• DanD
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Feb 2016

@Stevedh

There's quite a bit more detail on how the TRVs work on the Hive community forum:

There's a link to recent posts at the bottom of this page and it does look like there's still a bit of work for Hive to iron out some of the problems with the TRV algorithms. I'm an Evohome user, but I don't think Hive has a local controller in the same way as Evohome and Hive's control is via its apps or other internet-based controls.

@wilfman thanks for sharing your experience. Your the first user I've seen posting their experience of the TRVs and your experience seems to confirm the problems that other users are experiencing on the Hive forum.

Dan

Comment

• wilfman
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Nov 2019

Currently, the hive TRVs use the Hive smart thermostat as the controller. If the smart thermostat is currently in a schedule with the heating on then it will just open the valve on the rad. If the smart thermostat has heating off, the TRV will tell the smart thermostat to go into boost mode (what they call heating on demand).

All management of the TRVs is done via the mobile app or web browser to online site. I never tried it offline with no internet access and I suspect it would not work.

Comment

Working...
        X