Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2019

EvoHome - get boiler on/off status?

Hi

Is it possible to get:

- the status of a gas combi boiler being controlled by EvoHome, and/or
    - the open/closed status of an HR92

programmatically?

I am led to understand the official EvoHome API doesn't expose either of these bits of information.

But I wonder if there is another way to do it? E.g. another EvoHome component, some component from another smart heating system bridged to EvoHome, an unofficial API call, or a manual interface into the boiler.

Boiler: Independent C30 boiler.
    Controller: EvoHome multizone system with HR92s.

Thanks
  • DanD
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Feb 2016

- the status of a gas combi boiler being controlled by EvoHome
    No, not via Evohome as it only tells you what it has asked the boiler to do, but not the actual boiler status. It is possible to monitor some boilers remotely via Opentherm or other serial communication protocol and a suitable monitoring device.

- the open/closed status of an HR92
    Yes, the heat demand shown on the controller (under settings sub-menu) does indicate whether the HR92s are open or closed: 0%=closed, >0%=open. If you have multiple HR92s in a zone then it may be that only one of them is open if demand >0%.

Some of us use Domoticz with a Honeywell HGI80 USB device (or homemade equivalents) to monitor the wireless messages sent around the Evohome system and the heat demand information is available as well as the status of other Evohome devices. Domoticz can also be used to monitor the Opentherm messages using an Opentherm Gateway, but I've not used this.

Comment

• atHomeInLeeds
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Nov 2019

Originally posted by DanD View Post
      No, not via Evohome as it only tells you what it has asked the boiler to do, but not the actual boiler status. It is possible to monitor some boilers remotely via Opentherm or other serial communication protocol and a suitable monitoring device.
      Got it.

Originally posted by DanD View Post
      Yes, the heat demand shown on the controller (under settings sub-menu) does indicate whether the HR92s are open or closed: 0%=closed, >0%=open. If you have multiple HR92s in a zone then it may be that only one of them is open if demand >0%.

Some of us use Domoticz with a Honeywell HGI80 USB device (or homemade equivalents) to monitor the wireless messages sent around the Evohome system and the heat demand information is available as well as the status of other Evohome devices. Domoticz can also be used to monitor the Opentherm messages using an Opentherm Gateway, but I've not used this.
      Is that the menu of the HR92? Or the WiFi Controller? If the latter, do you have to enable that menu? Under settings, I don't see anything like the heat demand.

Is there a link to this USB device somewhere? Or how to make one?

Comment

• DanD
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Feb 2016

Is that the menu of the HR92? Or the WiFi Controller? If the latter, do you have to enable that menu? Under settings, I don't see anything like the heat demand.
        Sorry, I should have added some further details. On the controller, if you press and hold on the settings button you get to a menu labelled 'Installer Menu'. If you click on the 'System Summary' button it shows each device with their corresponding current heat demand. You can also access a menu called VALVE POS on the HR92 which shows you valve position (% open). This doesn't exactly match heat demand, except for the fact that as one increases so does the other, but it's not linear.

Is there a link to this USB device somewhere? Or how to make one?
        The Honeywell HGI80 USB device is available, but mainly from Dutch or German retailers. I'm not sure whether it was officially marketed/sold in the UK. The alternate devices are a whole other story and if you search the forum for HGI80 or RFBee you should be able to find loads of additional information. Purchasing a HGI80 is the simplest solution unless you're interested in messing with microcontrollers (Arduino clones), firmware etc. I enjoy messing with this stuff so I'm using both types of devices to both monitor and control my Evohome system using Domoticz and other tools.

Here's a link to one of the threads which discusses a homemade device similar to the HGI80:

Comment

• atHomeInLeeds
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Nov 2019

Ah I see. Found it.

But that info from the Installer Menu is presumably not available via the API, but only with an HGI80 or similar home constructed device?

Comment

• DanD
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Feb 2016

Yes, that's correct. The heat demand isn't available via the API, only via one of the controller menus or using a HGI80 type device to monitor the Evohome wireless messages.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jul 2014

Also remember that you will see the Heat Demand as requested off the boiler, not whether the boiler flame is actually on or not. Another way to determine if the Boiler has a Heat Demand or not is to watch the LED on the BDR91 controlling the boiler.

Comment

• Somebody
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Feb 2019

I have Smartthings which I integrated with Evohome. Using various tutorials I was able to chart the the heating/idle times of the zones:

Comment

Working...
                X